What's new

Gigabit PPPoE on Merlin

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

cdxxdaemon

New Around Here
Hello,

Sorry for posting two threads but in addition to my Rogers issue I’m considering switching to Bell FTTH. My cable internet goes out often and I would like the reliability and upload speed of the 1.5Gbps/940Mbps down/up that they offer.

I have an AX86U and the problem is Bell uses PPPoE. I know my router doesn’t have the horsepower to do those speeds on PPPoE.

So, my question is: are there any ASUS Merlin compatible routers that DO have the HP to do 1.5Gb/940Mbps (or more) over PPPoE? As I understand it it is because PPPoE is restricted to a single core and I guess that isn’t changing anytime soon.

I have an AX86U and the problem is Bell uses PPPoE. I know my router doesn’t have the horsepower to do those speeds on PPPoE.
It will be fine. I use a GT-AXE16000 with Ebox 1 Gbps FTTH, and the router is barely sweating.

14097802250.png

Well I’m using bell on a 1.5/1 like you and my old ac-68u overclocked to 1.2 had no issues doing those speeds. Moved to an ax86u pro and she runs smooth as butter on the bell Fibe network. Better throughput overall when using VPN which is what I wanted.

It will be fine. I use a GT-AXE16000 with Ebox 1 Gbps FTTH, and the router is barely sweating.

14097802250.png
Thanks so much! I had read so many places that the majority of consumer routers couldn’t handle the PPPoE at that speed and many people were using ADMZ pass through which seems messy. I looked up your router and that thing is a BEAST!!! Its processor is 2GHz and mine is 1.8GHz so no big difference!

I may aspire to your router though - having 10GbE would be nice for when I do decide to upgrade my home network and devices.

Really appreciate the quick response! I never expected this answer.

Well I’m using bell on a 1.5/1 like you and my old ac-68u overclocked to 1.2 had no issues doing those speeds. Moved to an ax86u pro and she runs smooth as butter on the bell Fibe network. Better throughput overall when using VPN which is what I wanted.
Thanks for the confirmation. It’s great to hear it on Bell and my specific router from you and to get the nod from Merlin too!

Btw I originally upgraded to the AX86U (from an AC87U if I recall) for the VPN throughput too. Knowing it will work with Bell makes me happier with my choice. Just wish Bell would join the 21st century with IPv6.

I suggest waiting for a WiFi 7 Gen 2 router instead of the WiFi 6E class GT-AXE16000.

Particularly, if the RT-AX68U gives you all you need, today.

Thanks so much! I had read so many places that the majority of consumer routers couldn’t handle the PPPoE at that speed
Broadcom's accelerator is compatible with PPPoE, so it doesn't hit the CPU that badly, as long you don't enable an incompatible feature that forces it disabled (such as Traditional QoS).

Don't forget to setup your WAN VLAN (I believe Bell uses 35 on their service).

I too am on Bell's FTTH 1.5 plan. I was previously using an RT-AC88U with a TP-Link MCL200 to bypass the HomeHub 3000 bell had supplied, and it served me well until I decided to upgrade to an RT-AX88U Pro with Hellotek media convertor and that took is working well.

would there be any concern using an ZenWifi XT8 with PPPoE or is the hardware not robust to be able to handle 1.5/1 service?

I have a technical question on PPPoE here since most of you are using Bell.
I am setting up my AX86U is PPPoE with bell fibe, my router is getting the public IP and is able to ping or nslookup out to the internet. Problem is from the lan network. Anything from my local lan is unable to reach out to internet.

Any thoughts? I checked and there are no static routes or firewall rules blocking the traffic.

As another anecdotal point I'm running two AC68U 800mhz models in AIMesh wired back haul with a PPPoE 940/940 (gigabit) service and I get the full speed just fine even with 30 devices connected.