What's new

Why PPPoE is bad?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ahyrych

Regular Contributor
There is a question for our Gurus, why PPPoE is bad? Many peoples don't want use PPPoE and tell is junk, also about speed and so. Please can you explane why for "normal" people)

PPPoE isn't bad, it's a means of doing things that can be convenient - at a cost!
That cost is that it encapsulates your data, which has data and time overheads.
Other than absolute data nerds/admins you'd probably never speak to a single person who has even considered if "PPPoE is bad".

encapsulating is on L2 model OSI?

Yes, PPPoE has overheads, but in the real world do we notice that? I don't.

what about "speed", let me explain, if i have 100 Mb/s or 1 Gb/s

If you want to just chase speed then yes you'll likely see a difference, but it won't be much and would be unnoticable in real-world use. We don't all chase headline speeds. My connection is 200Mbit on the download, but speedtests show 208 if I want to get into it.

my provider give me a choice (FTTB), or up to 1 GB/s with PPPoE, or 350 Mb/s with static IP, price the same (about)

What speed is the FTTB, and is it shared?

internet at home, our flat, my computer, TV, phones (me, wife, children) and laptop

Given the choice I'd go for the PPPoE offering.

its because ax86s?

There is a question for our Gurus, why PPPoE is bad? Many peoples don't want use PPPoE and tell is junk, also about speed and so. Please can you explane why for "normal" people)
PPPoE is garbage. No doubt.
Disadvantages.
1. Hard to setup.
2. It's slowed if there are many households or users at the same time.
3. Access verification takes time.
4. Unstable connection.
5. Packet loss.
These days, Only 3rd world and rural area are using PPPoE.

with 350 Mb/s the shaper is provider Juniper, the delay is very small

Disadvantages.
1. Hard to setup.
2. It's slowed if there are many households or users at the same time.
3. Access verification takes time.
4. Unstable connection.
5. Packet loss.
These days, Only 3rd world and rural area are using PPPoE.
i don't like PPPoE, but yours arguments are not wealthy, sorry

i don't like PPPoE, but yours arguments are not wealthy, sorry
Interesting. Arguments? That's not argument. That's well known fact about PPPoE. Go and Search about PPPoE.🤣
"Only 3rd world and rural area are using PPPoE" is the FACT too.

sorry, may be i don't understand you right

"Only 3rd world and rural area are using PPPoE" is the FACT too.
That statement would include most of the UK and a lot of Europe. Good job I don't find your ignorance offensive.
Go spoil someone else's thread.

That statement would include most of the UK and a lot of Europe. Good job I don't find your ignorance offensive.
Go spoil someone else's thread.
What is offensive? Interesting. I just gave the fact. UK is rural country for Internet Service. That's why UK wants to change it.
EU is still providing old Internet Service except few countries. These are not my personal opinion. These are the fact. So, would you bring the fact please?

UK:

Internet Speed Rank.
Rank. 57.
Average Speed- Download 82.80Mbps/ Upload 24.24Mbps.

Mobile Rank.
Rank. 59.
Average Speed- Download 43.99Mbps/ Upload 7.05Mbps.

• In 2020, in several countries, a significant percentage of municipalities had a connection slower than 30 Mbps. In France, Italy and Latvia this percentage was just over 50%. Czech Republic and Slovakia reached 65.4% and 70.1%, respectively, with peaks coming close to complete coverage in Cyprus (85%), Croatia (89.2%) and Greece (93.2%).
  • The speed performance is directly related to the development of the infrastructure. As for the Very High Capacity Network (VHCN) – an infrastructure that includes fiber-optics and other technologies, and is needed to reach the goal of universal 1 Gbps by 2030 – the European average coverage in 2019 was 44%.
  • Behind these figures lie large disparities, both between individual countries and between urban and rural areas.
  • Internet performance in Europe has improved dramatically between 2020 and 2021. Average fixed line download speeds have increased by more than half (+51.9 percent), from 68 Megabits per second (Mbps) in March 2020 to 103.3 Mbps in June 2021. Over the same period, upload speeds increased by 44 percent, from 32 to 46.2 Mbps. Unfortunately, the gap between urban and more rural areas, and between north European countries and those in the south-east, has also grown.

Last edited:
PPPoE isn't as bad as people want it to be. Yes we lose 8 bytes per 1500 for the header, and yes it may seem archaic to you, but it's working very well for me an millions of others.
Next you'll be telling me driving on the right-hand-side of the road is more efficient. Grow up.
@ahyrych sorry but I'm leaving the thread - some things I just won't stand for.
Welcome to the ignore list @follower