What's new

Good merlin/dd-wrt build for QoS on rt-ac66u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

deefop

New Around Here
Tried to fit the gist of it in the title.

Some quick background: I went to install my ac-66u the other day at a new apartment and decided to upgrade to the newest DD-WRT build, which unfortunately crashed the router. Probably because I got lazy and didn't factory reset first.

Anyway, I took the opportunity to recover and try out MerlinWRT since it's supposedly really stable.

Unfortunately there appears to be some kind of issue with the current AsusWRT builds that cause massive CPU utilization; a small LAN party yesterday totally crashed the router until I disabled QoS and enabled Hardware NAT.

Since I'm a gamer I really need effective QoS, so it's a lame issue to be stuck with. Also, you can't have QoS and hardware NAT enabled at the same time. Hardware NAT was one of the main features I wanted out of Merlin, so if I can't use it with QoS it's pretty pointless.

I want to come back to DD-WRT but I'm wondering if there are any builds that enable some of the newer QoS disciplines like fq_codel, Cake, PIE, etc.

On the MerlinWRT QoS page Merlin specifically says the kernel for the router doesn't support FQ_Codel, so it doesn't work on that firmware. I don't know whether that same limitation applies to DD-WRT or if there ARE builds that would allow it to work.

I posted this on the DD-WRT forums as well; just trying to soak up as much information as possible to get this sorted out. I'd be perfectly happy using a Merlin build or a Merlin fork or any fork of dd-wrt as long as it solves the problem.

Thanks in advance for any advice
icon_smile.gif

Dd-wrt doesn't have cake yet, who knows if ever. I have build 26318 running on my rt-ac66u. I know it's older but it works. Qos isn't working well on new builds.
I hear tomato is good for qos.

Dd-wrt doesn't have cake yet, who knows if ever. I have build 26318 running on my rt-ac66u. I know it's older but it works. Qos isn't working well on new builds.
I hear tomato is good for qos.
That is pretty old. Prior to the crash I was up to 30xxx something, I know it was a June 2017 build so it wasn't even really that old.

DD-WRT does have FQ_Codel though, right?

I've never tried Tomato before, although I've heard that it's good for QoS. I think the last time I looked into it I decided not to try because I remember thinking there weren't very many active forks/supported builds? That was a while ago, maybe I'm remembering badly.