What's new

GT-AC5300 (NB4 someone says it's not supported)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

ZiRiS

New Around Here
GT-AC5300 (NB4 someone says it's not supported)

I know it's not supported....but what if I did it anyways because I wanted Merlin's firmware instead?
If I installed the firmware for the RT-AC5300 would it brick my router? If so, which one should I install instead?
Look, I know I'll probably lose some features in this, but the features being lost are not important to me.
I got a gaming router for the speed, not because I have some specific game I want to go fasterer, but because I upgraded my internet and my old router couldn't handle the speed, the processor maxed out during speed tests and wouldn't give me the speed I was paying for.
After I switched, I suddenly started getting better speeds, speeds I was paying for.
So the thing is, I want Merlin firmware, but I don't want to have to buy a whole new router for it - I want to be able to use my current router, even if that means I lose some functionality.

Can someone perhaps point me in the right direction, please?
I've tried searching but haven't seen this specific question asked: which Merlin firmware do i put on my GT-AC5300 that won't brick it, or, is that even possible?
Is this a ridiculous question? If so, please tell me why, so I can learn from it.

Generally the router will not let one flash firmware for a different router. Even if it somehow does, one can likely expect their router to be bricked and possibly non recoverable. There was a recent discussion where I think someone was able to do this using the Asus firmware restoration/recovery tool. They flash firmware intended for a different Asus router and they bricked their Asus router.

Generally the router will not let one flash firmware for a different router. Even if it somehow does, one can likely expect their router to be bricked and possibly non recoverable. There was a recent discussion where I think someone was able to do this, flash firmware intended for a different Asus router and they bricked their Asus router.
Ah hah! So it will brick it if I try. Thanks, dude! 👍
Looks like I'm in the market for a new router.
The GT-AX110000 looks nice, and it looks like it's supported with no ROG features, which is a plus for me.

Ah hah! So it will brick it if I try.
Found the earlier thread I mentioned:

They apparently flashed the wrong firmware (RT-AX68U firmware) to their RT-AX86U, using the ASUS Firmware Restoration tool, and bricked their router.

If I installed the firmware for the RT-AC5300 would it brick my router?

Yes, the two routers have similar name, but very different hardware. RT is an older ARMv7 platform router, GT is a newer HND ARMv8 platform.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!