What's new

Guest Network Causes 2.4 Ghz Conflict

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

haggis999

New Around Here
Hi,

Every year i am forced to turn on a 2.4 Ghz guest network because my “smart” Christmas lights cant connect to a network that automatically switches between a 5Ghz network and a 2.4 Ghz network, depending on the client and the distance. Setting up the 2.4 Ghz guest network, in addition to my main network, solves the problem for the lights (although its annoying because I have to switch networks just to control the lights). When this guest network is on, it causes other IOT devices to be unable to connect to the main network. My theory is that this is because they also only connect to a 2.4 Ghz network, and while they can handle the auto switching feature, they cant handle it when the same router is broadcasting 2 2.4Ghz networks (even where they each have different SSIDs). As soon as i turn off the guest network, everything goes back to normal. This has happened for 3 years now. Im using an Asus RT-AC86U. This problem has persisted over various firmware changes, so i dont think this is the problem. Could this be a channel problem? Any help would be really appreciated.

Use Guest Network 2 instead of the first one, and make sure Intranet access isn't disabled. You will then be able to manage it from your clients connected to the main network.

Hmm .. I just had a very similar experience. I decided to fire up a guest network for my IoT devices to add some kind of security. I chose network one as it needed to be extended to my AiMesh node. I made it not reachable from the intranet.

I set it up, checked that both router & node were broadcasting the guest network and switched a couple of smart plugs (Tuya) over to check all was OK and it all seemed to work.

But overnight all hell broke loose! IoT devices were constantly disconnecting/reconnecting from both networks and some of my other devices (Raspberry Pico-W's in particular) lost their connection and stopped trying to reconnect.

Even weirder, my Eufy doorbell lost it's connection to it's hub. This isn't even part of 'my' network - the hub connects to my WiFi and also puts up it's own hidden SSID which the doorbell connects to. That hidden network was somehow disrupted as well.

There was so much chaos I just gave up and switched the guest network off. Not quite sure what to do next. Just live with dodgy IoT kit on my network, I s'pose.

Hmm .. I just had a very similar experience. I decided to fire up a guest network for my IoT devices to add some kind of security. I chose network one as it needed to be extended to my AiMesh node. I made it not reachable from the intranet.

I set it up, checked that both router & node were broadcasting the guest network and switched a couple of smart plugs (Tuya) over to check all was OK and it all seemed to work.

But overnight all hell broke loose! IoT devices were constantly disconnecting/reconnecting from both networks and some of my other devices (Raspberry Pico-W's in particular) lost their connection and stopped trying to reconnect.

Even weirder, my Eufy doorbell lost it's connection to it's hub. This isn't even part of 'my' network - the hub connects to my WiFi and also puts up it's own hidden SSID which the doorbell connects to. That hidden network was somehow disrupted as well.

There was so much chaos I just gave up and switched the guest network off. Not quite sure what to do next. Just live with dodgy IoT kit on my network, I s'pose.

Same problem here with RT-AC86U (and nodes), described on a different thread on this forum.

One of the guru-types responded with a half-dozen threads describing similar problems with the guest network feature.

I eventually read most of it until my eyes crossed. The distillation of what I read is that (maybe) ASUS will eventually have a fix, and (maybe) that fix will be implemented in the specific firmware for the ASUS router I have.

Begs the question, why is there a problem in the first place, and no one knows the answer, including (apparently) ASUS.

So for now my devices all live on my single network. But hey, honorable mention to ASUS for giving us a(nother) great option that doesn't work.

Same problem here with RT-AC86U (and nodes), described on a different thread on this forum.

One of the guru-types responded with a half-dozen threads describing similar problems with the guest network feature.

I eventually read most of it until my eyes crossed. The distillation of what I read is that (maybe) ASUS will eventually have a fix, and (maybe) that fix will be implemented in the specific firmware for the ASUS router I have.

Begs the question, why is there a problem in the first place, and no one knows the answer, including (apparently) ASUS.

So for now my devices all live on my single network. But hey, honorable mention to ASUS for giving us a(nother) great option that doesn't work.

I'd have to review this old thread to figure out what you are referring to and then ask some questions to be sure. Posting your own issue in your own thread could save you time and trouble.

OE