What's new

ASUS Guest Network dual-band

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Octopus4347

New Around Here
I have an ASUS GS-AX3000 and I have noticed that there is no option to create a dual-band Guest Network, I have noticed however that I am able to create both a 2.4 GHz and a 5 GHz with the same SSID and network key. I am not familiar with the intricacies of how WiFi works, does this essentially create a dual-band network, allowing client devices to automatically choose which they connect to and switch between, or does the fact that they are technically separate networks disallow switching automatically?

Last edited:
I have an ASUS GS-AX3000 and I have noticed that there is no option to create a dual-band Guest Network, I have noticed however that I am able to create both a 2.4 GHz and a 5 GHz with the same SSID and network key. I am not familiar with the intricacies of how WiFi works, does this essentially create a dual-band network, allowing client devices to automatically to choose which they connect to and switch between, or does the fact that they are technically separate networks disallow switching automatically?

Your 2.4/5.0 dual-band router broadcasts two wireless local area networks, one 2.4 WLAN and one 5.0 WLAN. They each have their own credentials, SSID and password. If they are both set to use the same SSID, like when Smart Connect is enabled, your clients will typically 'see' the one SSID but there are actually two SSIDs, two WLANs being broadcast. If you set different SSIDs, like when Smart Connect is disabled, your clients will 'see' both SSIDs. Note that a single-band client will only 'see' the SSID of the one band it can tansmit.

There is always technically two WLANs... you decide whether to name them the same SSID (enable Smart Connect band steering/failover) or name them different SSIDs (disable Smart Connect band steering... user band steers/segregates traffic by only connecting clients to a preferred band/SSID).

Enabling Guest Networks adds to the number of 2.4/5.0 WLANs being broadcast, but they behave the same in regard to bands and SSIDs and Smart Connect, and what clients 'see'.

OE

Last edited:
does this essentially create a dual-band network, allowing client devices to automatically choose which they connect to and switch between,
The simple answer to your question is yes.

There is always technically two WLANs... you decide whether to name them the same SSID (enable Smart Connect band steering/failover) or name them different SSIDs (disable Smart Connect band steering... user band steers/segregates traffic by only connecting clients to a preferred band/SSID).
For a measure if clarity, using the same SSID / passphrase on both bands works perfectly well without the use of Smart Connect, so there's a third option. Still not entirely relevant.

For a measure if clarity, using the same SSID / passphrase on both bands works perfectly well without the use of Smart Connect, so there's a third option. Still not entirely relevant.

I experimented extensively with same SSIDs and no Smart Connect... it works as good as the client/conditions permit.. both old and new clients can fail to band steer on their own... Smart Connect can correct this. I recommend enabling Smart Connect to begin with.... the user will most likely choose to disable it to permit different SSIDs to manually band steer a difficult client to the preferred band. For example, a stubborn wireless smart TV that insists on connecting to the 2.4 band and stutturing will have to be manually connected to the 5.0 band/SSID (Smart Connect disabled and/or use a dedicated Guest WLAN SSID.

OE

Picking up this old thread because I just upgraded my primary router to a GT-AX6000 and just bumped into this same question, but don't really understand this answer. "Guest Network Pro" on the GT-AX6000 does not give the same configuration options that I saw on the RT-AX86U Pro.

My situation: I disable smart connect routinely on my AI-Mesh setup, because the IoT in my house was getting too fouled up and making wrong connections. Historically, I have named the two networks HOMENETWORK and HOMENETWORK_5G, and let folks choose whatever speed they want. When I set up my guest network (which I use for AirBnb guests in our downstairs apartment), I called it GUESTNETWORK and GUESTNETWORK_5G.

Now, with the new GT-AX6000 GUI, I have three options: to create a combined 2.4/5G guest network, which is called GUESTNETWORK, or set a 2.4 Network, or a 5G network. I presume I could make two guest networks, one 2.4 and one 5G, naming them GUESTNETWORK and GUESTNETWORK_5G. But I would prefer to have a single SSID with the guest network, which is easier. So I guess my question is: if I do not have smart connect enabled on my primary network, but I choose 2.4/5g for my guest network, will smart connect be enabled for the guest network?

Thanks in advance for what I know will be a thoughtful reply!

So I guess my question is: if I do not have smart connect enabled on my primary network, but I choose 2.4/5g for my guest network, will smart connect be enabled for the guest network?

I believe Smart Connect is enabled for all WLANs or none of them. Feel free to name your WLANs whatever you want as permitted by the firmware.

New 3.0.0.6 firmware introduces Guest Network Pro and VLANs... I have not seen that yet.

OE