What's new

Solved Guest Wifi (index2) on same primary subnet - What & Why?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Terrabytes

Occasional Visitor
OK going a little crazy with what I am seeing. Created Guest Wifi (index1-100.0) and working as expected isolating traffic from primary subnet but Guest Wifi (index2-10.0) is being place on the same subnet as primary. Same if I changed it to Guest Wifi (index3). What is happening?

RT-AX86U Pro - 3004.388.4

Your help is greatly appreciated. My sanity thanks you.

So no isolation with other Guest Wifi. Trying to create a Guest and IoT Wifi. Guess my options are using iptables, Any suggestions or links of interest,

Thanks for your help and immense contribution to the community.

So no isolation with other Guest Wifi. Trying to create a Guest and IoT Wifi. Guess my options are using iptables, Any suggestions or links of interest,

Thanks for your help and immense contribution to the community.
Isolation is done at the ebtables level, rather than just by using a different subnet (which is not really any isolation, a client would simply have to use a static IP to bypass it).

a client would simply have to use a static IP to bypass it
Are you saying a client could set a primary network IP address and still connect to the GN1 network then talk to the other primary net devices?

Last edited:
Are you saying a client could set a primary network IP address and still connect to the GN1 network then talk to the other primary net devices?
All I'm saying is having a separate DHCP range does not isolate a network. You need further isolation at a lower level.

For me, Isolation does not work on Guest 2...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!