What's new

Hardwired Throughput

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Jamster001

Regular Contributor
Hello Everyone.

As this is my first post, I would like to thank you all for your discussions and past threads on this forum. A lot has been learned but plenty more to explore.:)

Anyways,

My question is whether or not a newer router, such as the NetGear WNDR4500 or Cisco E4200v2, will have a very noticeable WIRED throughput when connected to a game console such as the PS3 and XBOX360; when compared to my 5 year old WNDR3700 router? My current setup is this...

My ISP is Time Warner Cable and I pay for their Extreme cable service for 30MBps down and 5MBps up. At first, they gave me a Motorola SBG6580 modem/wireless router combo and I consistently had issues when bridging the modem to work with my WNDR3700 router. Finally, my ISP allowed me to swap out modems and I received a Motorola SB6141 modem. I now have that paired with my WNDR3700 router and the game consoles are hardwired directly to the router. I have setup static IPs and DMZ, and have tried port forwarding, but I constantly deal with lag as well as lost packets. So, my question again is, will it be beneficial to and noticeably better to purchase a newer wireless router such as the ones I mentioned earlier; and will I receive a noticeable difference while using any hardwired devices? Also, will I notice a huge difference in both speed and range when using a newer routers WiFi?

Again, thank you all for your knowledge and sharing any of your advice.

Last edited:
for 30Mbps, you should have a router in the $75 class that's younger than about 2 years. This, to get a good packet forwarding rate from WAN to LAN.

for 30Mbps, you should have a router in the $75 class that's younger than about 2 years. This, to get a good packet forwarding rate from WAN to LAN.

What router do you recommend? We use wireless for a laptop and iPod but our main concern is our hardwired gaming consoles. I was looking at the higher end routers to future proof myself in case I decide to jump up to the 50MBps speeds from my ISP.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a router that will be hardwired to a PS3? My current TWC (Time Warner cable) cable speed is 30/5 and I am thinking of increasing to a 50/5. Again, wireless is not that important just need a reliable and consistent connection from my Motorola SB6141 to a router hardwired to my PS3. Anything?

I'd be surprised if the game console can effectively use more than 10Mbps.

Get a WiFi router. Cheaper, Flexible. Lightly used WiFi won't affect wired side performance.

IMO: latest models in the $50-75 area, Linksys or Belkin (they use good reference designs despite their name).

Last edited:

Get a WiFi router. Cheaper, Flexible. Lightly used WiFi won't affect wired side performance.

IMO: latest models in the $50-75 area, Linksys or Belkin (they use good reference designs despite their name).

Thanks again Stevech.

I too was wondering exactly how much a PS3/XBOX 360 could handle. Not sure what the max acceptable throughput is on a console. I may check out a mid-range Linksys or Belkin. Again, WiFi isn't important really. Just want to find a good LAN to WAN throughput router. Thanks again.

***sorry meant to say WAN to LAN

Thanks again Stevech.

I too was wondering exactly how much a PS3/XBOX 360 could handle. Not sure what the max acceptable throughput is on a console. I may check out a mid-range Linksys or Belkin. Again, WiFi isn't important really. Just want to find a good WAN to LAN throughput router. Thanks again.

Cradlepoint MBR95 is very good 10/100 though with N300 and 3/4G those can be disabled.

Factory Service one is: $42 on Amazon comes with Cradlepoint 1 year protection warranty. Brand New is $99 on Amazon. I had picked up the FS one it's like no one had use it. It had the new router smell too it. No scratchs on the shiny plastic side.

internal specs

Wireless "N" WiFi (802.11n + legacy 802.11b/g, 2x2 MIMO, 300 Mbps)
Up to 600-feet of WiFi Range
Supports up to 32 WiFi Connections at a Time
Two WiFi Networks: 1 private SSID for owner, 1 public SSID for guestsCreate a private, secure, and prioritized connection while sharing with others.Each network can have its own QoS priorities and security settings.
Four Ethernet ports to connect directly to Ethernet-enabled devices
Create secure WiFi with best-in-class encryption (WPA2 with AES)
Special Feature: Use WiFi as a Data Source. "WiFi-as-WAN" mode enables the MBR95 to become a WiFi repeater (using existing WiFi to create secure connections) or use as a WiFi-to-Ethernet adapter for non-WiFi devices.

Last edited:
Here are my final decisions....

Debating on whether to go with the newer, but twice as expensive n66u, or the higher rated (according to smallnetbuilder) and cheaper n56u.

My main concern again is better gigabit hardwired throughput using cat7 Ethernet cables. Any suggestions?

I like the way I can shape ISP Upstream and DownStream to match or go a bit higher than current setting from them. Were as most of the non-managed Routers are all set to Auto. TL-ESR6120 and TL-ESR5120 both have this feature.

Is there a difference of throughput speed through ALL 10/100/1000 router's Ethernet ports?

I am under the assumption that ALL Gigabit routers could push the signal at the same relative speed. My ISP provides me with a measly 12Mbps, so I don't really need a Gigabit router to access the Internet speed, right?

I would only need a Gigabit router (when hardwired) if planning to view HD content via my computer or storage device on my own internal network, right?

And if there is a difference between Gigabit routers in regard to speed through their Ethernet ports, what should I look for (specific router, technical test) to get the best?

If anyone can address 1 one or more of those 4 questions, it would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
Is there a difference of throughput speed through ALL 10/100/1000 router's Ethernet ports?

I am under the assumption that ALL Gigabit routers could push the signal at the same relative speed. My ISP provides me with a measly 12Mbps, so I don't really need a Gigabit router to access the Internet speed, right?

I would only need a Gigabit router (when hardwired) if planning to view HD content via my computer or storage device on my own internal network, right?

And if there is a difference between Gigabit routers in regard to speed through their Ethernet ports, what should I look for (specific router, technical test) to get the best?

If anyone can address 1 one or more of those 4 questions, it would be greatly appreciated!

Run a speed test what do you get? Are you getting true 12m or less?

You would be find with 10/100m Router. Unless you go up to 50m download speeds then you need D3-modem with 1Gigabit port. Then get a Gigabit Router.