What's new

Has anyone noticed any problems with specifying Wi-Fi channels?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

TheLyppardMan

Very Senior Member
I tried the latest official firmware recently, but I had problems with being able to set a specific Wi-Fi control channel, both on the 2.4 GHz band. If I tried to change something, more often than not, the router would immediately disconnect the Wi-Fi for about 5 seconds and then when I went back to check whether my changes had been saved, I found they had not. I switched back to the latest Merlin build and have not had this problem. So, I was wondering if anyone else who has been or is using the official firmware had noticed similar behaviour?

I tried the latest official firmware recently, but I had problems with being able to set a specific Wi-Fi control channel, both on the 2.4 GHz band. If I tried to change something, more often than not, the router would immediately disconnect the Wi-Fi for about 5 seconds and then when I went back to check whether my changes had been saved, I found they had not. I switched back to the latest Merlin build and have not had this problem. So, I was wondering if anyone else who has been or is using the official firmware had noticed similar behaviour?

Not here.

OE

When switching back and forth are you factory resetting? If not there is a good chance that's related.

When switching back and forth are you factory resetting? If not there is a good chance that's related.
I always do a full factory reset in those circumstances.

Another issue I had, and I can't remember whether it was the official firmware or Merlin (both latest versions) was that after changing something (again, I can't remember what I was doing), the router disconnected me and then it wouldn't let me back in because it said I needed to log out first. I solved that by rebooting the router from the switch on the hardware. That wasn't the first time it had happened, so I'll open a new thread if it occurs again and provide some additional information.

I always do a full factory reset in those circumstances.

Another issue I had, and I can't remember whether it was the official firmware or Merlin (both latest versions) was that after changing something (again, I can't remember what I was doing), the router disconnected me and then it wouldn't let me back in because it said I needed to log out first. I solved that by rebooting the router from the switch on the hardware. That wasn't the first time it had happened, so I'll open a new thread if it occurs again and provide some additional information.
Maybe it is time to stop messing with the settings and let a good router just run! The default WIFI settings with SmartConnect works well for thousands.

Maybe it is time to stop messing with the settings and let a good router just run! The default WIFI settings with SmartConnect works well for thousands.
I already tried that, but it didn't work for me.

OK, I'm giving it another go on the auto setting to see what happens. It's currently on channel 9 and working OK. I've connected my mobile phone to the 2.4 GHz band so that I can do some speed tests over the next few days. I'll report back when I have a clearer picture.

I've had that happen once or twice, too, a while back. I believe I was able to get in using the IP address of the router in the browser location bar, instead of the router's network name. Or maybe SSH in and restart httpd. I don't recall, but know I did not spoil my uptime over it.

If smart connect was so great you would think the default setting would be enabled instead of disabled.
Myself, no way I want my 5 GHz devices changing to the slower 2.4 band.

Part of smart connect is band steering to help prevent that, but honestly my router doesn't even support smart connect or band steering and devices switch to 2.4 when range is needed and back to 5 when I'm back inside. Obviously every client differs but compared to 10 years ago where everything chose 2.4 (which is why band steering was developed) it is a night and day difference now.

To each their own, I prefer a single SSID for most of my devices and the ability to add unique ones for band or AP binding.

If smart connect was so great you would think the default setting would be enabled instead of disabled.
Myself, no way I want my 5 GHz devices changing to the slower 2.4 band.
Actually, the default SmartConnect setting is enabled. And if you use DFS channels and you get hit by RADAR it is a good thing to switch to 2.4 GHz while the 5 GHz sorts itself out! Better a bit slow than off completely.

Doesn't the router Quick Internet Setup (QIS) routine that greets the webUI after a reset begin Wireless configuration with 1 same SSID... Smart Connect enabled?

OE

Doesn't the router Quick Internet Setup (QIS) routine that greets the webUI after a reset begin Wireless configuration with 1 same SSID... Smart Connect enabled?

OE

My old AC defaults to two different ones but obviously that's irrelevant since it has no smart connect. Honestly who cares what the default is. It does work well for many/most scenarios. I do have a TP link AC router with their version of smart connect and during initial setup it gives you the option to enable it, don't recall if it is default there or not.

Smart connect is just:
1. Same SSID on both bands
2. Band steering to hide 2.4ghz from 5ghz clients with good signal
3. Roaming assistant to help them switch back and forth quicker (I think that is part of smart connect, may be wrong on that one).

You can set this up yourself too without using smart connect, it is just trying to make it easier on those less knowledgeable.

OK, I'm giving it another go on the auto setting to see what happens. It's currently on channel 9 and working OK. I've connected my mobile phone to the 2.4 GHz band so that I can do some speed tests over the next few days. I'll report back when I have a clearer picture.
Well, as expected, the auto setting hasn't helped at all. I've just run a speed test (still on channel 9) and got these results on my mobile phone: Ping 39 ms; download 21.85 Mbps; upload 9.07 Mbps (about half my normal download speed on my mobile and a quarter of my normal upload speed).

Well, as expected, the auto setting hasn't helped at all. I've just run a speed test (still on channel 9) and got these results on my mobile phone: Ping 39 ms; download 21.85 Mbps; upload 9.07 Mbps (about half my normal download speed on my mobile and a quarter of my normal upload speed).
I've just tried a few more channels (1, 6, 9 and auto[8]), but all are giving similar poor results.

My old AC defaults to two different ones but obviously that's irrelevant since it has no smart connect.

Agreed. :)

I experimented with disabling Smart Connect and using same SSIDs... mostly works fine with my clients, but some (old and new) did get sticky from time to time for no obvious reason.

OE

Do you have a fast PC you can test with?

OE

Duh! That is what is expected from 2.4 GHz. It is not a racetrack. Even if you force 40 MHz the bandwidth may not improve much. And, If you live in a development like I do and have neighbor hogs that force 40 MHz on 2.4 GHz you will get interference.
A long time ago when I had problems with my RT-N66U a wise Asus tech advised me to set the 2.4 GHz to 20 MHz. I've done that ever since and have not had connection problems. As for the clients, I let them choose which band to connect to. Saves pulling my hair out over "slow" connections.

I've just tried a few more channels (1, 6, 9 and auto[8]), but all are giving similar poor results.

Probably not a wireless setting issue. Has your OP issue been resolved?

My wired upload speed gets tanked and websites stop working right whenever Dell/Windows/Intel pushes an update for the Rivet Networks (now Intel) Killer WiFi6 AX1650x adapter in my PC. Once I realize what's going on AGAIN, I have to disable the Killer Network Services to recover normal Ethernet function (installing the latest Intel driver sans any Killer controls doesn't prevent this). This has been an ongoing issue since day1 with this Killer crap (the Ethernet adapter is integrated on the MB).

OE

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!