What's new

Has anyone noticed any problems with specifying Wi-Fi channels?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Do you have a fast PC you can test with?

OE
Yes. I'll do some more testing over the next few days. Typical results at the moment are:
2.4 GHz Manual Channel (1).png

Whereas, when it's working better, I get something like this:
Previous Download Speeds.png

I'll set up some continuous monitoring over the next few days and set the Wi-Fi to auto and to go off for a short time before the other family members start using the internet in the morning (so presumably, that will force a rescan of the Wi-Fi channels).

Duh! That is what is expected from 2.4 GHz. It is not a racetrack. Even if you force 40 MHz the bandwidth may not improve much. And, If you live in a development like I do and have neighbor hogs that force 40 MHz on 2.4 GHz you will get interference.
A long time ago when I had problems with my RT-N66U a wise Asus tech advised me to set the 2.4 GHz to 20 MHz. I've done that ever since and have not had connection problems. As for the clients, I let them choose which band to connect to. Saves pulling my hair out over "slow" connections.
I only use 20 MHz bandwidth and very rarely do I see 40 MHz being used by anyone in my vicinity. I've run a test over many hours since yesterday by leaving the setting on channel 6, which as of yesterday, seemed to be giving the best results (but that will probably change if the previous pattern repeats). Here are the results of the test and also a scan of the current usage of the 2.4 GHz band:
2.4 GHz band monitoring at 10-minute intervals.png

Current channel usage.png

I can't believe you are worrying about 2.4GHz radios as they are so slow especially at 20MHz. They paint screens slowly if you have any images like Microsoft's start page, default edge, web page. I use it for my iRobot vacuum around my house. Worry more about 5GHz that is where the speed is. I have 5GHz most everywhere in my house now days. I can tell when DNS slows down. My Dell i9 laptop is very fast on wireless.
I even noticed it on my newer iPhone if there are images on the screen.

We have definitely outgrown 2.4GHz with the newer technologies like Wi-Fi6. It is so much quicker for me now.
Work on your 5GHz as it is shorted ranged and works better in a crowded environment especially with Wi-Fi6 and Windows 11. Windows 11 was so much faster using Wi-Fi6 5GHz than my Windows 10 when I switched.

I can't believe you are worrying about 2.4GHz radios as they are so slow especially at 20MHz. They paint screens slowly if you have any images like Microsoft's start page, default edge, web page. I use it for my iRobot vacuum around my house. Worry more about 5GHz that is where the speed is. I have 5GHz most everywhere in my house now days. I can tell when DNS slows down. My Dell i9 laptop is very fast on wireless.
I even noticed it on my newer iPhone if there are images on the screen.

We have definitely outgrown 2.4GHz with the newer technologies like Wi-Fi6. It is so much quicker for me now.
Work on your 5GHz as it is shorted ranged and works better in a crowded environment especially with Wi-Fi6 and Windows 11. Windows 11 was so much faster using Wi-Fi6 5GHz than my Windows 10 when I switched.
I have a TomTom Sat Nav which will only connect to the 2.4 GHz band and it has to download large map files from time to time, so I need to make sure the Wi-Fi band is working properly before I attempt an update.

Using 20/40MHz and AX (Wifi 6) on 2.4GHz I occasionally find my laptop thus connected and can then still easily pull / push high 300s Mb/s. Not my first choice, but not shabby either.

Am semi-rural, with main wireless and that client both in the basement of a brick-veneer house...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!