What's new

Has my VPN been compromised? "ovpn-server: Connection reset, restarting [-1]"

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

micjgam

New Around Here
I have a AC88U running an OPVN server for when I am away. Sometimes I forget to turn this off when I am home and early this morning starting at 4:30 EST, I got a hit from an IP located in Ukraine or Russia.

1697820951027.png

What I cannot see is if they successfully connected or if they were just trying to brute force the server to try and connect approximately every 40 minutes. My router is set to reboot every morning at 5AM, so that is the pause you see in the log.

Note: I am not using the default port for the server... this has been changed to something else. The default IP has also been changed.

What is this error - ovpn-server: Connection reset, restarting [-1]

Does the log not show when someone is connected? I can see it in the VPN tab, but then I would have to be in the UI to see if someone actually suceeded in connecting.

Can I set something up to be notified when someone has connected to the server? I am fairly tech savvy and could script some things if need be.

Last edited:
It's just a port scanner. They didn't connect to your server.
I figured... curious... what kind of information does one see on the other end? Public facing IP (mine happens to be static, but I am probably not the only one with it)? Port forwarded to?