What's new

Have FIOS WAN DHCP issues been resolved in 386.4?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

So I am back on 386.5. I have configured Guest Network 2 and it behaves like the old Guest Network 1. It is the same subnet as the regular network, but uses firewall rules to block communication. Tested and cannot ping or reach anything on the main network from the guest network. So I guess the bug of being able to access the main network from GN2 and 3 is fixed. Since GN2 and 3 does not create these new special VLANs for AIMESH that were causing the WAN issue, I suspect it will be fine now. But time will tell.

I may still move to GN1 as having the separate subnet and interfaces offers some more flexibility, I can more easily put a physical LAN port in the guest network and also set up a VLAN trunk to my outdoor AP to extend the guest network to that too. But will need to manually remove those 5xx VLANs from port 0 if I do that. For now will wait and see if things are stable like this.

I've reported the issue to Asus via their website (can't report via the router since I don't have stock firmware). We'll see if anything comes of it.

Well 3 days in and no disconnects and still have the same WAN IP. Cautiously optimistic. @RMerlin are you able to report this to your contacts at Asus (the new VLAN 50x's introduced in 386 code base being bound to the WAN port 0, causing issues with FIOS users due to LAN DHCP packets being sent out the WAN)? I've been trying but just stuck in their tech support queue with people who don't understand what I'm trying to tell them.

I suspect that these new VLANs are only supposed to be bound to port 0 if it AP or Repeater mode, not in router mode. Or if for some reason they have to be bound to port 0, then they need to implement a firewall filter of some sort to stop the DHCP packets from leaving the WAN toward the ISP.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!