What's new

Help me purchase new Router & WAP

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sevendustweb

Occasional Visitor
Hello:

I have a cisco rv180w router and a cisco wap321. Both of them are the biggest pain in the butt and do not work consistently (connectivity issues). I have spent way too many hours on the phone with Cisco & Apple trying to fix this problem.

I want a router that hauls butt and features strong routing capabilities. I want a WAP that shares the same default ip address scheme as the router (make it plug & play) with great range.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Router Suggestions and Control4

I have a Control4 home automation system at home, so I am trying to limit my selection to routers that I know are compatible with it.

If you had your choice between the Netgear WNDR4500, Apple Extreme Gen 5, or the Asus RT-N65U/66U, which would you choose and why would you choose it?

I am tired of being a beta tester for technology companies that only want to push out the latest and greatest with crappy firmware. I just need something that will work!

Control4 is simply a LAN client with TCP/IP, right? It might need port-forwarding to do home control from the internet. But all routers had done that for years.

I'd avoid Apple unless you are all-Apple everything everywhere.

Netgear - IMO, inconsistent among models. Hit and miss.
D-Link - same but worse track record.
ASUS wifi - geeky fun.

Pricey but below, the firmware is the same for all products, It evolves rather than being unique for every new product. They sell to the industrial and kiosk/machine-to-machine market where it must run unattended.
I have their older/slow home router (used-like new on eBay) and several of their travel routers. Part of the high cost is that you can plug in a USB modem for Verizon or other cellular as the automatic fail-over.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=75-990-054&ParentOnly=1&IsVirtualParent=1

I haven't used this, but I was happy with their bridge. Good reputation
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16833162033

Belkin (now owns Linksys as I recall) has a good reputation over the years. Such as
http://www.belkin.com/us/F9K1004-Belkin/p/P-F9K1004?q=::categoryPath:/Web/WSNT/WSNTWLS

I'd avoid
802.11ac
dual-band routers

Since you mention Apple and plug and play maybe you should take a look at the Apple products. Apple and some of the basic home routers are the only routers which seem to have plug and play. I have a friend which does not know anything about networking and he got his network working without any help using an Apple router.
I personally don’t want routers with user friendly apps controlling the setup, as I know what I need to do. They just get in my way and slow me down.
PS
What were your problems with the RV180W? I have a RV180 and Cisco has never seen fit to fix the ACLs.

Last edited:
Hello:

I have a cisco rv180w router and a cisco wap321. Both of them are the biggest pain in the butt and do not work consistently (connectivity issues). I have spent way too many hours on the phone with Cisco & Apple trying to fix this problem.

I want a router that hauls butt and features strong routing capabilities. I want a WAP that shares the same default ip address scheme as the router (make it plug & play) with great range.

Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Your problem is the WAP321 - it's been a troubled child... find something else :)

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!