What's new

HELP needed: PPTP with client-to-client

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Hexabion

Occasional Visitor
Hi there. I have sucsessfully set up a plain/normal PPTP-server from the GUI with ease, same goes for OPENVPN, and in OPENVPN theres the option for "client-to-client" communication, allowing two computers connected to the VPN server to communicate with eachother.

My scenario is basically something as simple as wanting to "OPEN LAN" on a computer in my LAN in Minecraft, and letting an external PC from the internet connected via the PPTP-server on the router to see that computer`s opened LAN game on Minecraft.

Basically doing the same as Hamachi does, a VPN with client-to-client communication allowed, not just client-to-router.

I reckon its not possible within the GUI for PPTP, but I really want to be free of having to ask someone to install either Hamachi or Openvrt client on their computer, so my questions are:

A: Can it be done dynamically with ip/itables / forwarding of some sort via script/ssh?

B: When issuing iptables and ip- commands, is this written into config-files / permanent, or will it all go back to default on reboot? My concern is ruining my N66U if I play around with iptables/ip, but it its non-stick (needed to reimplement each reboot), then I can experiment safely.

I know this is asking much, so I thank anyone for even just reading this post. Thanks in advance nonetheless.

bumping this (sorry).

Basically short story (I wrote a bit much in first post):

A: Will messing with ip / iptables be permanent / write itself to config-files somewhere or nvram, or can I safely experiment with it? (meaning if i want it "permanent" ill have to put it in some start scripts e.g wan-start or services-start)

B: Possible to use iptables / ip command with a FORWARD to all clients when packet comes in from a VPN-client and vice versa, basically gaining a VPN client-to-client communication like the option in Openvrt?

Thanks in advance for any light on this matter.