What's new

Help - UPS for Synology DS412+

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jbsmith

Occasional Visitor
Hi I'm really new to NASs and definitely UPSs. I've read and searched a lot but am having trouble understanding what type of UPS I need...I'm hoping someone here can give me some product recommendations based on what I'd like it to do.

I'm looking for a UPS that will simply allow the NAS to properly shut down in the event of a power failure. I already have an excellent surge protector that I could plug the UPS into if thats advisable.

I've looked around at different places and tried to determine what I need, but am confused if I need a $300 UPS or something that costs $80.

If possible if you can provide product recommendations that'd be great. I must say I am not looking to spend $300, but if that is what I minimally need then I will.

Thanks for the advice!

Get an APC brand.
There are no viable standards for the UPS interface and so Synology (et al?) support only the market leaders in UPSes.

I have a 1500W UPS that runs NAS, PCs, router, modem/phone combo, and some other things. It's in the garage but is just one wall away from office where most of this is. Some is in the garage too.

Surge protectors do nothing.

Thank you!

So do I just get any APC branded UPS? When I was on their website I wasn't sure what features I need to correctly shut down the NAS in the event of a power failure.

All I understand so far is that I probably need something 100W or greater...which is just about any of them...assuming I'm only plugging the NAS into it.

Seems like APC had some software that went along with the UPC - are these things managed? I only have Mac's and the software that I saw on their site didn't seem to have a Mac version.

Get either APC or CyberPower.

I have an APC BG1500 connected via the supplied USB cable to my Synology DS413j. DSM interface allows you to set the NAS to shutdown when the battery reaches a low level or after a few minutes.

Thank you!

So do I just get any APC branded UPS? When I was on their website I wasn't sure what features I need to correctly shut down the NAS in the event of a power failure.

All I understand so far is that I probably need something 100W or greater...which is just about any of them...assuming I'm only plugging the NAS into it.

Seems like APC had some software that went along with the UPC - are these things managed? I only have Mac's and the software that I saw on their site didn't seem to have a Mac version.

Mac has built in UPS support, as do many NAS boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What I haven't found anywhere is how to get either the NAS to tell the PC to shut down or vice-versa, via the ethernet.
It'll have to be the NAS telling the PC via the ethernet .. since the PC isn't always-on.

I have not found what conventions or data format or protocol (UDP?) could be used nor how to get the NAS to force the PC to shut down. Actually, two PCs.

My UPS is a CyberPower 1500

What I haven't found anywhere is how to get either the NAS to tell the PC to shut down or vice-versa, via the ethernet.
It'll have to be the NAS telling the PC via the ethernet .. since the PC isn't always-on.

I have not found what conventions or data format or protocol (UDP?) could be used nor how to get the NAS to force the PC to shut down. Actually, two PCs.

My UPS is a CyberPower 1500

It can be done via either SNMP or 'Network UPS Support' using Synology NASes and APC PowerChute (Personal Edition). Not sure if CyberPower has an equivalent.

Last edited:
It can be done via either SNMP or 'Network UPS Support' using Synology NASes and APC PowerChute (Personal Edition). Not sure if CyberPower has an equivalent.
I read that. But I cannot find any documentation on the SNMP trap codes used, nor the layout of the MIBs, nor any other non-SNMP packet format. Some chatter about it in the RFS in 1990s

Last edited:
I read that. But I cannot find any documentation on the SNMP trap codes used, nor the layout of the MIBs, nor any other non-SNMP packet format. Some chatter about it in the RFS in 1990s

Actually, the MIB guide and MIB files for Synology can be downloaded here:
http://www.synology.com/en-us/support/snmp_mib

Additionally, Synology NASes can relay their USB-connected UPS status to other devices on the network.

Thanks! I looked and looked, mostly on the web looking for an RFC.

Now the trick is to find software for Win7 and XP that will receive this unicast (or broadcast) MIN, in SNMV1 I hope, and do the graceful shutdown.

I wasn't aware this was possible.

Can anyone comment on the equivalent QNAP methods?

I wasn't aware this was possible.

Can anyone comment on the equivalent QNAP methods?

Supported in QNAP too when I last configured an 8-bay device for work (used as a mobile NAS unit)

http://docs.qnap.com/nas/en/index.html?ups_settings.htm

Here are the limitations with QNAP though:
  • There is no SNMP/MIB guide similar to Synology.
  • There is no setting for shutdown until 'Low battery' status only a timed option available in the GUI (not good when using the UPS with multiple devices as you can't predict how much battery is left). Luckily, it does go into "safe" mode if it detects low battery status.

Kris404,

Thank you! I guess I haven't explored all the options on a QNAP as I thought I had.

Will be able to try this next week at a customer's office.

Synology uses Network UPS Tools NUT Website. If you find a windows client that can talk to a NUT server you should be able to notify anybody.

Thanks... I'll read.
What I want to do is connect UPS to Synology NAS and have NAS send out an SNMP trap or some such and 1 or more PCs catch the uni- or broadcast power fail from the NAS and invoke a windows shutdown.

I read most of the NUT user doc. There's no binary for Windows 32/64. The authors are *nix data center focused.

Last edited:
On the download page there is a Microsoft installer (albeit BETA) of the entire NUT package NUT Binaries
I've downloaded it. Will see if it has the simple client.
Do you know if the Synology server's (NUT-based?) software sends a power failure or battery low alert via a subnet broadcast UDP packet or a unicast UDP packet to a list of hosts on the LAN, or is it by some other means?