What's new

Help with ethernet and OnQ connections

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Eldon_Brasche

New Around Here
I'm new to the whole OnQ stuff and need help getting the ethernet to work. The pics show what the connections look like inside the panel as well as the wall switch. The port seems to be dead when plugging in the cable.
OnQ-1.jpg
Wall_Switch.jpg

Those plugs are for phones. They will not work for high speed LAN. You might be able to get 10 megabit to work with a different rear patch panel. You are going to need another patch panel for high speed LAN providing your cable is CAT5e or above. If you cable is CAT5 you will be limited to 100 megabit speed with new patch panel.

If the white panel is the other end of the CAT cable then it will need to be reterminated for high speed communication.

If the patch cable is CAT3 then you will be limited to 10 megabit. I cannot read what the cable says from the pictures.

Those plugs are for phones. They will not work for high speed LAN. You might be able to get 10 megabit to work with a different rear patch panel. You are going to need another patch panel for high speed LAN providing your cable is CAT5e or above. If you cable is CAT5 you will be limited to 100 megabit speed with new patch panel.

If the white panel is the other end of the CAT cable then it will need to be reterminated for high speed communication.

If the patch cable is CAT3 then you will be limited to 10 megabit. I cannot read what the cable says from the pictures.

Thanks coxhaus for your quick reply. I have verified that it is CAT 5E. Any ideas on the patch panel I will need (links, etc.)? The white panel end is the other end, the ethernet connection in the room I want to connect to. When you say it needs to be reterminated, what does that mean to a laymen such as myself?

The block in the other end does not qualifly for high speed Ethernet LAN. You will need a different female Ethernet plug. One certified for high speed Ethernet. I don't know where to buy the stuff any more maybe Altex or Fry;s. If you get a cabling guy to do it he will have the gear.

PS
You should be able to find a new female Ethernet Plug which fits in the white plate. There will be less wire showing with the new plug.

Last edited:

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!