What's new

Need help after power surge

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

pbmpharmacist

Occasional Visitor
Hey all. First post in a very long time. I'm fine around wifi routers but I don't know much about hardwire switches.

I moved into a new house like a year and a half ago. Electrician set up a wired network for me with a switch.

My setup was like this:

Comcast gigabit --> Motorola modem --> oldish Netgear orbi (wifi) ----(hardwire)--> network switch for wired Internet

I used the Orbi because that's what I had and it was working. Until last Saturday when a thunderstorm trashed my network switch. So since I need a new switch I was wondering if I should change up my setup. What would I need to buy to get wired backhaul? Can I get a switch that is a router and add access points hardwired in for wifi throughout the house? Any advice appreciated, I don't know very much and got confused researching myself.

Also would appreciate a way to test Ethernet jacks.

new setup:

Comcast gigabit --> Motorola modem --> ???

Last edited:
Just replace your dead switch with an unmanaged 8 /16/ ? port switch to get back up. They are cheap. Netgear pro ( metal case) are generally very reliable. Buy a UPS to power the switch and your router.

use your existing lan cabling for wired backhaul with new APs if you don’t want to continue with the Orbi

Before you do that, we need to understand what devices and usage you have on your existing setup. Also, a sketch of your house , rough size, and location of all devices and lan terminations (wall plates).

First thing to do would be a whole house surge at the box. Then everything is protected. The UPS is useless if everything gets dried. Sure, the UPS buys you network time if the power goes out but, if you want long duration uptime a 5g FWA ISP box can get you 16h with a power bank attached.

Just replace the switch as stated before though and if you need more coverage get real APs like the nwa210ax or look at the omada.

I want to figure out what would be best instead of just throwing another switch in there.

Attaching pics of my house.

Can the switch be the router with access points for wifi?

Let's not focus on the surge itself. I had many devices on power surge protectors and I had whole-house surge protectors on each of my power boxes out the idiot installed them incorrectly. My modem and Orbi are on a cyberpower UPS already. My network switch was not.

Last edited:
First thing to do would be a whole house surge at the box. Then everything is protected. The UPS is useless if everything gets dried. Sure, the UPS buys you network time if the power goes out but, if you want long duration uptime a 5g FWA ISP box can get you 16h with a power bank attached.

Just replace the switch as stated before though and if you need more coverage get real APs like the nwa210ax or look at the omada.

Yep, I paid for 2 whole house surge protectors. They didn't work because the electrician didn't install them correctly. That will be rectified. And already had UPS for some of the equipment, just not the switch.

If I ditch the Orbi and the dead switch, should the new switch have the router or? I've never set up access points before.

Site is picky about uploading pictures, think I got it now. There are 8 ports on the dead switch.

There are 2 x Ethernet jacks in the office, one in the kitchen, one over the fireplace on the first floor.

one in each of the bedrooms upstairs.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230818_170049_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230818_170049_Chrome.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Screenshot_20230818_170024_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20230818_170024_Chrome.jpg
    62.7 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
Can the switch be the router with access points for wifi?
No, a switch is layer 2 and only knows the Mac of the devices connected unless you pay for a layer 3 switch and cobble something together.

ISP >> router/nat/firewall>> switch>>AP

APs handle the wifi and only wifi which is why they work so well for wifi.

A single AP can handle 2500sq ft if only drywall. Avg router doesn't handle half that on a good day.

Good thing is you can put cheap $10 switched in each room with multiple devices and then if you need an AP there just use a poe injector or AC adapter for power

How about this?

Comcast gigabit --> Motorola modem -->
Ubiquiti Dream Machine Special Edition --> Ubiquiti U6 wifi mesh access points

How about this?

Comcast gigabit --> Motorola modem -->
Ubiquiti Dream Machine Special Edition --> Ubiquiti U6 wifi mesh access points
I would think so. I have heard TP-Link Omada is copying Ubiquiti so they would follow.
I would keep the router and switch separate. But that is me and I run a layer 3 core switch.
If you want the best wireless experience, then run multiple separate wireless APs. Anytime your wireless passes through walls it degrades so if you try to only use 1 wireless AP you are compromising your wireless.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!