What's new

Help with MoCA setup. Two ECB6200s, only getting 95 Mbps.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

SprkFade

New Around Here
Looking for some help with my new MoCA setup. I'm trying to determine why I'm only getting 95 Mbps to my Amazon Fire TV. I tested using a Speedtest app. My internet is 200/15 so I should at least be able to max that out. From what I've read about others using the same adapters, my setup should be getting much higher speeds.

Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated. Here's the diagram of my current setup:

QNm2GJe.png

http://i.imgur.com/QNm2GJe.png

Looking for some help with my new MoCA setup. I'm trying to determine why I'm only getting 95 Mbps to my Amazon Fire TV. I tested using a Speedtest app. My internet is 200/15 so I should at least be able to max that out. From what I've read about others using the same adapters, my setup should be getting much higher speeds.

FireTV, if I recall, is Fast Ethernet (100Base-T) on the wired side, so an ethernet connection should yield around 90-95 Mbit/Second...

FireTV, if I recall, is Fast Ethernet (100Base-T) on the wired side, so an ethernet connection should yield around 90-95 Mbit/Second...

Yup: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00UH2O6T2/?tag=smallncom-21

Just 10/100 Mbps Ethernet.

Actually... sfx2000... I have a very stupid question myself.

Does this matter ?

OAP (= cable connection from provider) => a coax cable => MOCA filter => 1st MOCA demod => rest of house
OAP => MOCA filter => coax cable => 1st MOCA demod => rest of house

Issue is that the MOCA filter is mounted differently in these two scenario's. Does a MOCA filter works in two ways ? So keep signals above 1.1 GHz from entering your home AND prevents signals from leaking to your neighbours ?

Of all the things I checked I can't believe I didn't verify the port speed on the Fire TV. I'll try something with a gigabit port and test again. Really appreciate the extra set of eyes on this. Thanks!

Yup: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00UH2O6T2/?tag=smallncom-21

Just 10/100 Mbps Ethernet.

Actually... sfx2000... I have a very stupid question myself.

Does this matter ?

OAP (= cable connection from provider) => a coax cable => MOCA filter => 1st MOCA demod => rest of house
OAP => MOCA filter => coax cable => 1st MOCA demod => rest of house

Issue is that the MOCA filter is mounted differently in these two scenario's. Does a MOCA filter works in two ways ? So keep signals above 1.1 GHz from entering your home AND prevents signals from leaking to your neighbours ?

The main reason for a filter is if you aren't running encryption. That way it doesn't leak to the outside or let others in. So to answer your question, yes it works both ways. I know Comcast uses MoCA for their AnyRoom product so that could be a potential source for interference if I'm not mistaken. Brighthouse's Echo uses MoCA too I think.

The main reason for a filter is if you aren't running encryption. That way it doesn't leak to the outside or let others in. So to answer your question, yes it works both ways. I know Comcast uses MoCA for their AnyRoom product so that could be a potential source for interference if I'm not mistaken. Brighthouse's Echo uses MoCA too I think.

Same here in Europe. Ziggo (cable provider) uses MOCA to stream video from the STB to satellite receivers in e.g. your bedroom. In this way you don't need a full blown STB to watch cable TV in other rooms.

MOCA filter at the Demarcation is best - and as someone above mentioned, it's pretty much standard practice to implement privacy/encryption on the MOCA link in any event - no performance hit there...

Any assistance or advice would be greatly appreciated. Here's the diagram of my current setup:

QNm2GJe.png

http://i.imgur.com/QNm2GJe.png
Several things to check.

First you should determine the speed on your LAN using two PCs running a utility such as LAN Speed test, not by using a speed test that depends both on your LAN and the internet.

Then start by building you LAN up one component, segment at a time to see if you can isolate what might be slowing it down. The first test would be done just connecting the two devices with a short piece of brand new correctly terminated coaxial cable and the two MOCA adapters. Use high quality jumper cables to connect the PCs to the MOCA adapters.

Obvious possibilities for your speed problem are:

Does you Amazon Fire TV have a gigabyte Ethernet port?

Your speed might also be impacted by splitting the signal twice. As part of your test see what happens when you only use a single splitter.

Question already answered ;)

Fast Ethernet on the port there - 10/100 only...

Can't always be the first to post. When I downloaded all the most recent new posts including the OPs question this possibility hadn't been mentioned. In the 30 -40 minutes between when I read the OPs question and when I drafted my reply someone else had the same suggestion. Didn't realize it was a race.

Can't always be the first to post. When I downloaded all the most recent new posts including the OPs question this possibility hadn't been mentioned. In the 30 -40 minutes between when I read the OPs question and when I drafted my reply someone else had the same suggestion. Didn't realize it was a race.

No worries - we'll all interested to help out :D

What my question is, does the Fire TV have any issues or buffering with 95Mbps? :eek:

Haha, no it doesn't. Originally I was having an issue with Plex on my Apple TV 4 so I setup the MoCA setup to rule out my wireless router but then I noticed it was being capped at 95 Mbps so I wanted to make sure I didn't have some hidden splitter in the attic or a configuration issue with the MoCA setup. After all of that, it turns out that there's a bug in the Plex app itself that was causing the buffering so it had nothing to do with the network, LOL.

Haha, no it doesn't. Originally I was having an issue with Plex on my Apple TV 4 so I setup the MoCA setup to rule out my wireless router but then I noticed it was being capped at 95 Mbps so I wanted to make sure I didn't have some hidden splitter in the attic or a configuration issue with the MoCA setup. After all of that, it turns out that there's a bug in the Plex app itself that was causing the buffering so it had nothing to do with the network, LOL.
Good to know. :) So have you just connected a laptop there to see how much you're actually getting via moca? I'd be curious because if it tops out at 95 even with a more capable system, you still may have some sort of issue.

Good to know. :) So have you just connected a laptop there to see how much you're actually getting via moca? I'd be curious because if it tops out at 95 even with a more capable system, you still may have some sort of issue.

It ended up capping at 220/17 which is the max of my internet speeds (200/15 package). I might run some iperf tests for fun just to see what it tops out at but since it's able to use the full internet pipe, it's doing exactly what I need it to. Thanks for the help everyone.

It ended up capping at 220/17 which is the max of my internet speeds (200/15 package). I might run some iperf tests for fun just to see what it tops out at but since it's able to use the full internet pipe, it's doing exactly what I need it to. Thanks for the help everyone.
That's pretty awesome. If you don't mind doing those iperf tests, I would really appreciate it. I'm seriously looking at the same moca adapters if they can do at least 500Mbit.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!