What's new

Help with new Asus router selection

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

iissmart

New Around Here
It's time to upgrade my RT-AC66U. I recently upgraded to 1000/1000 gigabit internet and the AC66U can't handle the wan-to-lan speed. This is because the ISP requires VLAN tagging on the wan port over IPoE (DHCP, not PPPoE), and even with HW Accleration enabled and CTF enabled the router chokes at 150-180Mbps. I've done my due diligence with troubleshooting and am at the conclusion that I need to upgrade.

Thing is, I'm really confused by the various router models that Asus sells. I know I should avoid the AC87U due to the Quantenna processor, but that leaves me with the AC-88U, AC-68U, AC3200, AC3100, AC5300...anything else? Any advice on which one(s) handle VLAN tagging on the WAN port at gigabit speeds?

Also, if anyone has experience using a Ubiquiti EdgeRouter Lite in this situation I'd love to hear how it works for you/compares to Asus.

For starters the 68U and 3200 are the previous generation. The 88U (same as 3100 with 4 extra ethernet ports) and the 5300 are the current generation. The newer models offer faster cpu speeds amongst other things. How those will handle your wan-to-lan speeds I am not sure. I'm sure others will chime in with some more information.

For starters the 68U and 3200 are the previous generation. The 88U (same as 3100 with 4 extra ethernet ports) and the 5300 are the current generation. The newer models offer faster cpu speeds amongst other things. How those will handle your wan-to-lan speeds I am not sure. I'm sure others will chime in with some more information.
Thanks! It's strange that the AC3100 is newer than the AC3200. I'd expect the number to go up...

My goal is to find out if the 68U or 3200 are powerful enough to handle VLAN tagging at gigabit speeds, or if I need to shell out for the current gen.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!