What's new

Home Plugs for 3 Phaze House?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Not had a problem in my three phase house. Communication through two meters back to common phase didn't diminish signal. We are on a long lv line with no branches.

Dave

Could be anywhere in the world: just depends what kind of service (amps) the home was designed for.

Could be anywhere in the world: just depends what kind of service (amps) the home was designed for.

In the US too? I haven't seen 3 phase. But I may not know what I don't know. Esp. not living in a 30,000 sq. ft. home!

Without actually knowing for certain, I would guess that yes, even in the US too. Especially in a 30K SQFT mansion. :)

I live in Israel, in house with 3 three phaze.
@ballibeg, the tp-link 500 will works even it's not "sit" on same phaze?

Regards

Does here chaos. Will depend on your phases wiring. I have one lv cable in which splits to three phases. If you have 3 cables in then it won't.

Cross phases should not be an issue.

As for in the US, I have never seen 3-phase power except in industrial settings or heavy commercial. You've gotta transform it at the power distribution point on the property for most of your stuff at that point.

US electrical stuff is designed to run on split phase. You get either single phase 120V or for high power applications, such as electric stoves, ranges and hot water heaters, you get 240v by recombining the split phase with a common neutral.

The full 3-phase power from the grid is pretty much only use to do things like drive heavy motors and EXTREMELY high power equipment.

Short of that, split phase saves a bunch of conductor material to implement over full fat 220/240V single phase or 220/240 3-phase. It is a large part of the reason why the US did split phase 120/240 and most Europe/UK do 220/240v. We decided to save copper, at the expense of more complicated electrical designs.

Most big 'ole mansions in the US simply use BIG services, like 400-amp and possibly multiple.

Most big 'ole mansions in the US simply use BIG services, like 400-amp and possibly multiple.

I've seen half of that for a single home theatre installation.

400 Amp is not big, depending on the mansion we're talking about. :)

The utility bill would be delivered via a fork lift.

No, same weight when it is delivered online. :)

Just glad that I don't have to pay for it.

Meh, if you max it out a 400 amp service, that is only something like $9,000 a month.

Something tells me though at those levels the utility is going to be making you pay by the VA instead of the Watt...and also might have growth caps that if you go over the, they sock you in penalties.

Gulp.

Fyi, the service isn't maxed 24/7 at 400 Amps; 200 A service for the home theatre. But even at $9,000 per month utility bill, I assume that they can afford it. The home theatre is for up to 30 people. :)

Fyi, the service isn't maxed 24/7 at 400 Amps; 200 A service for the home theatre. But even at $9,000 per month utility bill, I assume that they can afford it. The home theatre is for up to 30 people. :)

I assume it wouldn't be either, otherwise they'd likely have a much later service for instances of transient loads.

If I were to guess, that 200 amp service for the home theater, probably rarely sees (even in use) more than a 20-30 amp load. But, hey, if all of the lighters are turned up (assuming incandescent/halogen), and the projector is on, sound blasting, maybe its own AC unit, etc. I imagine it could probably draw 50-60amp and it might have just been easier to run its own service then take a branch circuit that large over to it. That and it might supply something else in addition to the home theater.

PURE speculation though. I haven't see it and know nothing about it. Other than I want that man's (woman's?) home theater. He can keep the rest of the mansion. Thank you very much.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!