What's new

Network problem at home in 5GH - on the computer

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

unrank

New Around Here
I have fiber optic 600MBspeed on 60MB upload
There was a sudden short power outage
Then the 5gh internet was knocked out, it is not clear what it was
I worked on it a bit and sorted it out
On all the devices in the house on 5gh I get the speed as it should be - iPhone, Apple mobile
Streamer, television
But my computer has an external network card on wifi suddenly I get super low speeds at 5gh
I tried to make updates to the computer, for the driver of the card I changed USB locations
I removed the network card from device manager and reinstalled everything
So I replaced an external network card and did this whole cycle and it's the same.
Now I'm considering buying an internal wifi network card and maybe that will fix it
Or am I missing something?
The router has an Asus TUF Gaming AX5400 Dual Band
I have win10
My external network card is from TP LINK
The rest of the products that are connected to USB on the computer
Like keyboard, mouse, external drives work great
I can't put network points on the computer (network cable)
Preferably prefer not to reset the router settings
Because all products in 2.4 disconnect (already happened before)
I would appreciate suggestions and help
Thank you

Last edited:
I have fiber optic 600MBspeed on 60MB upload
There was a sudden short power outage
Then the 5gh internet was knocked out, it is not clear what it was
I worked on it a bit and sorted it out
On all the devices in the house on 5gh I get the speed as it should be - iPhone, Apple mobile
Streamer, television
But my computer has an external network card on wifi suddenly I get super low speeds at 5gh
I tried to make updates to the computer, for the driver of the card I changed USB locations
I removed the network card from device manager and reinstalled everything
So I replaced an external network card and did this whole cycle and it's the same.
Now I'm considering buying an internal wifi network card and maybe that will fix it
Or am I missing something?
The router has an Asus TUF Gaming AX5400 Dual Band
I have win10
My external network card is from TP LINK
The rest of the products that are connected to USB on the computer
Like keyboard, mouse, external drives work great
I can't put network points on the computer (network cable)
Preferably prefer not to reset the router settings
Because all products in 2.4 disconnect (already happened before)
I would appreciate suggestions and help
Thank you

If you already replaced the NIC, maybe the power surge burned your USB controller. Some PCs have a different controller for diferent groups of ports so try moving it around. Try it in another PC. Try a thumb drive or other USB device in the problem PC to see if throughput is poor.

Only other idea is while "sorting it out" you changed something in the 5G router that is impacting that particular card for some reason, maybe enabled a feature it doesn't like, etc.

If you already replaced the NIC, maybe the power surge burned your USB controller. Some PCs have a different controller for diferent groups of ports so try moving it around. Try it in another PC. Try a thumb drive or other USB device in the problem PC to see if throughput is poor.

Only other idea is while "sorting it out" you changed something in the 5G router that is impacting that particular card for some reason, maybe enabled a feature it doesn't like, etc.
After testing one of the old network cards I had, I tried on another computer on another network and it also didn't work that wellBut you need to do a test with the external network card that I replacedIn my opinion it is both a problem with the USB there and with the external network card

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!