What's new

How best do I connect to VPN server and VPN tunnel using 1-2 AC68U?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Big Ry

Regular Contributor
I'm very much a novice with networking stuff, so i need a little guidance on how to solve this problem in layman's terms.

I have (2) AC68U routers. Currently only 1 is in use, and it's running a very recent version of Merlin (flashed a week or so ago). I also have expressVPN service, and currently have 2 VPN servers configured in Merlin.

I have the following requirements for devices on my home network:

1. Non-North American VPN server (required for NFL Game Pass on tablet and for all Chromecasts to stream game pass video to the Chromecasts)
2. US VPN server (for Firesticks and any other devices running Sling to avoid ISP throttling, US server required)
3. Plex media server on custom built PC (PC on VPN preferred if remote streaming functions fine with VPN cap)
4. Home surveillance system on same custom built PC from #3 (must have secure remote access, presumably VPN tunnel is only method to do this)

So far I have #1 through #3 configured and confirmed working on the single Merlin router, though i haven't confirmed remote access on Plex via VPN because i just got Plex remote access working.

There may be a conflict with #3 & #4, considering they're the same client device. Presumably i cannot remotely access camera feeds via VPN tunnel if the host PC itself is configured to pass through expressVPN server, right? If so, then #4 takes precedence and i will forgo expressVPN on that PC. Plex remote streaming likely cannot function on a ~30Mbps cap anyway.

Also, if it makes any difference, the aforementioned PC is connected via an unmanaged PoE switch that's on LAN port 1 on my Merlin router. The surveillance cameras will be running PoE on this switch and will be managed by Blue Iris software on the PC. Obviously this isn't setup just yet.

So my question is how do I go about setting up the OpenVPN tunnel for remote access to my surveillance system while simultaneously having expressVPN clients configured in Merlin? Or how do I set it up using my spare AC68U as a second router in the network? To be clear, most devices, including the routers themselves, don't necessarily need to be on a VPN. I have a handful of MAC addressed listed for each expressVPN server configured in Merlin, but that's it. The default is no VPN. Does this (split tunneling? Policy based routing?) make any difference at all in the ease of configuring what I'm trying to configure?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!