What's new

how can I determine/compare performance?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

sbacct

Occasional Visitor
I have the following setup:

(1) AC68U #1 as main router connected to internet (office - left side of house main floor) -> (2) Trendnet Gigabit switch (basement - middle of house) -> (3) back up to other side of the house to AC68U #2 (AC1900 Tmobile version updated to AC68U via Merlin) (family room - right side of house main floor/near firestick for streaming content)

I have a TV in the Office with a firestick as well.

Assuming the firesticks are all equal and both operating OK, the firestick in my office (about 2 ft away from the router) performs like a beast. Very snappy and responsive. The one in the family room seems slower. When I stream the exact same content, the firestick in my office is smooth while the firestick in the family room skips a little on the exact same streaming content.

One special note is that the firestick in the family room is connected to a receiver inside an entertainment center with a 7 in x 3 inch square hole in the back. I have the AC68U #2 sitting on the floor right behind the entertainment center where the hole is.

How can I determine the performance of AC68U #1 compared to AC68U #2. I would like to know if the slower streaming in the family room is because of the AC68U #2, because of the time it takes for the signal to travel to AC68U #2, or because the firestick is in the cabinet, or for some other reason (maybe firestick issue or bc its plugged into a receiver)?

Last edited:
In the very first place: the modified TM-AC1900 is not discussed here.
I suppose you talk about wired connections from RT-AC68U to Switch and from the Switch the TM-AC1900.
A few suggestions:
  • Swap the firestick and see if they behave the same.
  • Wireless ideally requires an open line of sight and the equipment not being surrounded by other electronics or obstructions: move the router and TV a bit apart and away from the wall and see if that enhances performance.

I have the following setup:

(1) AC68U #1 as main router connected to internet (office - left side of house main floor) -> (2) Trendnet Gigabit switch (basement - middle of house) -> (3) back up to other side of the house to AC68U #2 (AC1900 Tmobile version updated to AC68U via Merlin) (family room - right side of house main floor/near firestick for streaming content)

I have a TV in the Office with a firestick as well.

Assuming the firesticks are all equal and both operating OK, the firestick in my office (about 2 ft away from the router) performs like a beast. Very snappy and responsive. The one in the family room seems slower. When I stream the exact same content, the firestick in my office is smooth while the firestick in the family room skips a little on the exact same streaming content.

One special note is that the firestick in the family room is connected to a receiver inside an entertainment center with a 7 in x 3 inch square hole in the back. I have the AC68U #2 sitting on the floor right behind the entertainment center where the hole is.

How can I determine the performance of AC68U #1 compared to AC68U #2. I would like to know if the slower streaming in the family room is because of the AC68U #2, because of the time it takes for the signal to travel to AC68U #2, or because the firestick is in the cabinet, or for some other reason (maybe firestick issue or bc its plugged into a receiver)?

Speedtest.net the hacked router with a wired, fast PC. Is the hacked router in AP Mode?

The firestick could be too close to interference... you could extend its HDMI cable to move it out and clear... you could move the interference.

The firestick could be unhealthy... you could swap them around to test. It could be old and failing.

The hacked router WiFi could be unhealthy... you could 'look' at its signals with a WiFi analyzer app... you could confirm it works with other wired/wireless clients.

It could be too close to the firestick/too close to interference... you could move it out/up and clear. Radio travels well.. no need to be right on top of it.

There could be competing WiFi like WiFI Direct APs in other boxes or neighboring WiFi. You could turn OFF unnecessary APs... perform a site survey with a WiFi analyzer app and change your WiFi settings to avoid other WiFi.

The wired backhauls/switch/ports/connectors could be unhealthy/damaged... you could bypass them to rule them out.

etc.

OE

In the very first place: the modified TM-AC1900 is not discussed here.
I suppose you talk about wired connections from RT-AC68U to Switch and from the Switch the TM-AC1900.
A few suggestions:
  • Swap the firestick and see if they behave the same.
  • Wireless ideally requires an open line of sight and the equipment not being surrounded by other electronics or obstructions: move the router and TV a bit apart and away from the wall and see if that enhances performance.
Correct....wired connections from RT-AC68U to Switch and from the Switch the "modified" TM-AC1900

Speedtest.net the hacked router with a wired, fast PC. Is the hacked router in AP Mode?

The firestick could be too close to interference... you could extend its HDMI cable to move it out and clear... you could move the interference.

The firestick could be unhealthy... you could swap them around to test. It could be old and failing.

The hacked router WiFi could be unhealthy... you could 'look' at its signals with a WiFi analyzer app... you could confirm it works with other wired/wireless clients.

It could be too close to the firestick/too close to interference... you could move it out/up and clear. Radio travels well.. no need to be right on top of it.

There could be competing WiFi like WiFI Direct APs in other boxes or neighboring WiFi. You could turn OFF unnecessary APs... perform a site survey with a WiFi analyzer app and change your WiFi settings to avoid other WiFi.

The wired backhauls/switch/ports/connectors could be unhealthy/damaged... you could bypass them to rule them out.

etc.

OE
i used speedtest and analiti wifi test and here are the results:

Ac68U #1
speedtest: 58 Mbps
analiti: 61m down, 11m up

(modified) TM AC1900/AC68U #2
speedtest: 52.88 Mbps
analiti: 94m down, 12m up

So it looks like speed is OK on the AC68U #1. So its probably something about the arrangement/location of the firestick and router. I tried swapping firesticks and didnt change anything. I might order an extender for $6

i used speedtest and analiti wifi test and here are the results:

Ac68U #1
speedtest: 58 Mbps
analiti: 61m down, 11m up

(modified) TM AC1900/AC68U #2
speedtest: 52.88 Mbps
analiti: 94m down, 12m up

So it looks like speed is OK on the AC68U #1. So its probably something about the arrangement/location of the firestick and router. I tried swapping firesticks and didnt change anything. I might order an extender for $6

Looks like sufficient speed is there... now I would investigate the 'last mile' of wireless at the media center. If it's not positioning/orientation/interference, then try to evaluate the TM WiFi performance... are multiple wireless PC speed tests solid or erratic? And maybe try the firestick in a different HDMI port on the receiver or on the (smart) TV in case it's the receiver.

OE

Last edited: