What's new

How do I configure Tomato Shibby on N66?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

alabrand

Occasional Visitor
Hello! I have an Asus N66 router with the latest Tomato Shibby firmware installed. Everything is working perfectly but I'm wondering if there are any options or settings I should change in order to get the best speed possible and/or the most secure network possible.

Hello! I have an Asus N66 router with the latest Tomato Shibby firmware installed. Everything is working perfectly but I'm wondering if there are any options or settings I should change in order to get the best speed possible and/or the most secure network possible.

Default is usually best. Unless you have an explicit reason for changing it, I wouldn't.

One of the major sins of computing is premature optimization. You can cause more problems (I have been guilty of this for the past 10+ years until recently) when you try to fix something that isn't broken.

If you absolutely must start tweaking the settings, only change 1 thing at a time and always reboot the router to confirm that the settings have taken effect. Go about it cautiously.

The following thread may interest you, so that you can see what the RT-N66U is capable of.
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=21139

Default is usually best. Unless you have an explicit reason for changing it, I wouldn't.

One of the major sins of computing is premature optimization. You can cause more problems (I have been guilty of this for the past 10+ years until recently) when you try to fix something that isn't broken.

If you absolutely must start tweaking the settings, only change 1 thing at a time and always reboot the router to confirm that the settings have taken effect. Go about it cautiously.

The following thread may interest you, so that you can see what the RT-N66U is capable of.
http://forums.smallnetbuilder.com/showthread.php?t=21139

Figures. :) Thanks for the link!

Normally the only thing I change is the wireless power level as the tomatousb default will be at 42 mW which is lower than the routers default.

If you change it to 0 then it will run at the routers default power level or set it to what you like.

Right! I vaguely remember that setting. What's a good transmit power upper limit to keep in mind so that I don't accidentally destroy my router one way or another? 100? 200? Also I live in Sweden and the region is set to USA. Should I leave it at USA or should I change it to Sweden? Can the router get damaged by leaving it at USA?

Right! I vaguely remember that setting. What's a good transmit power upper limit to keep in mind so that I don't accidentally destroy my router one way or another? 100? 200? Also I live in Sweden and the region is set to USA. Should I leave it at USA or should I change it to Sweden? Can the router get damaged by leaving it at USA?
You probably won't get much good out of raising the power level...I have not...it is a problem of having a big mouth but no ears. :D You do not improve the signal output of the remote devices and you don't improve the reception of the router. You create more heat and RF pollution. More likely that a drive-by hacker will find you with the strong beacon. Be sure to use WPA2 encryption in any case.

USA settings are absolutely safe for the router. I have no idea how diligent the Swedish regulators are but there is a chance of trouble with them or near neighbors or airports if you transmit on channels that aren't legal there.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!