What's new

How does a DIR-615-SW differ from a DIR-615 (if at all)??

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

zjohnr

Regular Contributor
I've been browsing through eBay auctions for lower end wireless routers lately. Today I saw an auction for a D-Link DIR-615-SW. Anyone know what the heck that is versus just a DIR-615??

I (briefly) tried the D-Link web site but did not see anything other than the usual web page for the DIR-615.

Just curious. :rolleyes:

-irrational john

My guess is that it's loaded with a region/language-specific firmware. Sweden maybe?

I think it was purchased in the US (but who knows?)

My guess is that it's loaded with a region/language-specific firmware. Sweden maybe?
;) I don't think so, but that's just a guess of course. Typical of most eBay auctions I've looked at there is not much useful info provided. But the seller is in Arizona in the US and the packaging is all in English. FWIW, here's a link.

-irrational john

I just bought one, and I can only assume that the SW refers to an anti-virus software package that is bundled with it, because the device itself has no mention of an "SW" anywhere on it.

Those are the old Hardware Version B2. I had A1 those were Marvel base 500MHz and the wireless was so strong that it could cover the enough house from the basement network closet to my second floor. And it was fast. The only issue that LAN and WAN dropped connection way to many times. DLINK told me they don't support the A1 and I should take it back. So not taking a risk I had picked up the DIR-655 A3. DIR-615 C1 has 400MHz Atheros WNPU 32MB of RAM the Trendnet TEW-652BRP v1 had the same cloned PCB. To me whoever made the board made the same one for Trendnet. They looks so much like. That's why DD-WRT can be flashed on both. Neither router is any good as the it has not heatsinks and they tend to over heat badly after heavy usage.

B2 doesn't support IPV6, there is more about SW version using this link.
http://www.tunnelbroker.net/forums/index.php?topic=296.0

Last edited:
The sw that I bought is h/w ver C1.

Then you have 400Mhz Atheros WNPU with 32MB of RAM If it doesn't overheat you'll have a fast throughput over the wireless. 10/100 PCI Controller is what's in the DIR-615.