What's new

How many devices can I connect to a wireless Router?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dsl2cable

Occasional Visitor
:confused:

I need some infomartion on buying a new router. How many devices can I connect to a wireless router wirelessly. I have about 6 wireless devices.:confused: How Many Connections Can A Wireless Router Handle?

Last edited:
6, 10, 20 or so OK with all but the too-cheap WiFi router/APs.
Now the statistics of how much data each client is simultaneously seeking in competition with others, is another story. Usually, a relatively low speed ISP service connection becomes the bottleneck.

I have 22 devices connected to my RT-N66U and every one of them run fine streaming 1080P video simultaneously.

22 1080's simultaneously?
I'd believe that if most are wired, not wireless.
If wired, it's just an Ethernet switch data flow, not a router flow.

:confused:

I need some infomartion on buying a new router. How many devices can I connect to a wireless router wirelessly. I have about 6 wireless devices.:confused: How Many Connections Can A Wireless Router Handle?

Apple says 50 on their current gear - which is certainly possible, but I wouldn't go there - in most large WiFi deployments with enterprise level AP's, 25 is about right...

I would say most modern home AP's can support 20/25 devices on wired/wireless realistically...

CPU horsepower is part of it, but the real limitation is RAM - NAT tables take up a certain amount of memory on top of the operating system and management applications.

Most of the older 802.11 b/g Home AP's - about 10 due to the 802.11b/g and limited memory...

22 1080's simultaneously?
I'd believe that if most are wired, not wireless.
If wired, it's just an Ethernet switch data flow, not a router flow.

Sorry let me clarify. I have 22 devices connected to my Asus RT-N66U and 5 devices have streamed 1080P content at the same time with no stuttering.