What's new

How much less secure is a RT AC68

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I don't follow
What would you like to know?
Which model exactly are you asking about?
RT-AC68U_V4 is EOL (but I don't remember any security issues being detected), other RT-AC68U have manufacturer support.

RT-AC68U_V4 is EOL (but I don't remember any security issues being detected), other RT-AC68U have manufacturer support.
Not sure the reason for the snarkey remark.
Mybeyou can understand it this way:
How more secure is the average new AIO as compared to an older Asus RT-68U?

Knowing that the router ships with a specific kernel, hardware, and SDK, and it is a decade old, it is potentially much more insecure than a new offering.

Considering that it is still supported though, they may be effectively equally secure (at this point).

Even with DSL ISP service, I would not recommend running hardware this old. The bare minimum, entry-level RT-AX68U, for example, will show it up in any environment and almost any use case.

Knowing that the router ships with a specific kernel, hardware, and SDK, and it is a decade old, it is potentially much more insecure than a new offering.

Considering that it is still supported though, they may be effectively equally secure (at this point).

Even with DSL ISP service, I would not recommend running hardware this old. The bare minimum, entry-level RT-AX68U, for example, will show it up in any environment and almost any use case.
Thank you

Thank you
Remember, check for yourself.

Latest ASUS RT-AC68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.386_51668 by 2023/11/30

Latest ASUS RT-AX68U Firmware version 3.0.0.4.388.21732 by 2022/11/28

Your money, your choice.

Moral of the story? Don't run stock.
Asuswrt-Merlin is not official Asus firmware.
99% of Asus routers users do not use Asuswrt-Merlin firmware.
Welcome to the real world.

How more secure is the average new AIO as compared to an older Asus RT-68U?

There is no answer to your question. All AIO routers are secure enough for home use. Newer models don't necessarily add extra security. Your RT-AC68U is still supported by the manufacturer, it had recent firmware release. Statistically >95% of the attacks originate from the LAN side. Click on a wrong link, execute hidden command, compromised IoT device, etc. If you know what are you doing online - you're safe. If you don't - no router will save you. Just continue using your router. Upgrade when you need to upgrade.

No, it's not. It's better.

And nothing offered has negated my first post in this thread.

Welcome to the very real world.

RT-AC68U_V4 is EOL..., other RT-AC68U have manufacturer support.

Firmware releases for RT-AC68U are still double image including V4. It rides along with the others. The same with RT-AC1900P.

Firmware releases for RT-AC68U are still double image including V4. It rides along with the others. The same with RT-AC1900P.
Possibly, I haven't checked it.
And nothing offered has negated my first post in this thread.
And nothing you offered has negated my posts in this thread.
No, it's not. It's better.
RT-N66U
  • Latest Asuswrt-Merlin 380.70_0 - 2018-04-08
  • Latest stock Firmware version 3.0.0.4.382.52272 - 2020/06/18
RT-AC66U
  • Latest Asuswrt-Merlin 380.70_0 - 2018-04-08
  • Latest stock Firmware version 9.0.0.4.382.52503 (Beta Version) - 2021/02/06
RT-AC3200
  • Latest Asuswrt-Merlin 384.13_10 - 2020-06-28
  • Latest stock Firmware version 3.0.0.4.382.52651 - 2022/03/29
Welcome to the very real world.
The real world isn't very very...

Yes, pick all the unsupported not to mention EOL models to make your non-point.

Everything I've stated has negated your points. Please continue thinking otherwise, I'll stay firmly in today's reality.

Yes, pick all the unsupported not to mention EOL models to make your non-point.
Check what model OP is asking about...
Everything I've stated has negated your points. Please continue thinking otherwise, I'll stay firmly in today's reality.
Only in your world, not in real world.

EOT. Ignoring.

Yes, ignore people who don't accept your inadequate comebacks. That's what conversations are about in 2024.

I specifically answer the questions the OP asks about. Unlike your uninformed responses.

and your point ? Seems Asus if fine with Merlin FW It does not void the warranty using Merlin , that says something . I'm retired but in the past I set up plenty of small business and personal networks always used Merlin and in all those years never had a problem

Good news for RT-AC68U owners here:

Perhaps most variants running the same firmware are included in the deal. Whoever finds this router good enough for the needs - it's safe and supported. It's also more stable than many new models with more firmware features actually working. Also Asuswrt-Merlin firmware usually continues with components updates some time after EoL.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!