What's new

How To Build a SqueezeCenter Server with FreeNAS and a T5700

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

vnangia

Thanks for the article!

I almost wish there was a Wiki to gather such knowledge around these parts - the FreeNAS kb is far from satisfactory in this regard.

One nice little device that I have is a Chumby, which has a built in SlimServer client. Given my NAS is perpetually on, and my primary computer is not, this seems to be a good way to share my tunes!

Absolutely! Given soft clients for SqueezeCenter I really didn't want to shut down my server. But I didn't want a 600 watt power hog running 24/7 and throwing off unnecessary noise & heat.

The recycled thin client is ideal for this sort of situation. I have all my music backed up to a 750 GB HD in a USB enclosure. I only keep the one-third that we actually listen to on the T5700.

BTW, thanks to Tim for accepting this from me. It was a kinda spur-of-the-moment idea to document something that I had already done.

Michael

By the way, one thing I must mention is that your instructions to install SlimNAS actually work. If you follow the instructions on Mike Herger's website, it never works because he forgets to mention that: (a) the current version of SlimServer is 7.0.x, not 7.1, so the script right at the top which he encourages you to download dies; and, (b) he neglects to mention that if you download one of the tarballs at the top of the page, you have to rename it. The first three times, I failed trying to get it installed because of these two glitches; your instructions worked like a charm so thanks!

Thanks also for introducing me to this T5xxx series. I had no idea they existed, and had I known about this sooner, I would have likely built a couple of specialized devices using these... an Asterisk server comes diabolically to mind...

Yes, what you say is true. It's also the reason that I decided to stay with the v7.0 release for now. The install process seemed cleaner and I could not see any major benefits to v7.1.

As to the T5700s, I have one in service running Astlinux. It replaced the Soekris Net4801 mentioned here:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/content/view/24210/82/

The big advantage was the faster CPU. The let me make greater use of G.729a and so make more efficient use of my bandwidth using ITSPs.

Tim has expressed an interest in revisiting the topic. I've been holding off pending some compelling reason to do so.

There's a brand new release of Astlinux that's been two years in the works just about to drop. Kristian issued a pre-release image last week. It's very different than previous release, on an entirely new Runnix foundation.

Then there's Askozia which uses the m0n0wall OS & GUI. Less flexible but maybe easier to get running.

Maybe something I can do eventually. Time is the issue.

Michael

I just tried a little test in response to some questions about how the unit might perform with more RAM. I had a 1 GB SODIMM of PC2700 (DDR-333) on hand so I tried that in place of the stock 256 MB of DDR-266.

It doesn't boot at all. It seems that the BIOS can't handle more than 512 MB of RAM. I'll get a 512 MB stick and try that tomorrow.

Thanks for sharing your experiences. Just got hold of a cheap HP T7520 and will make it my dedicated musicserver instead of my DLink DNS-323.

Enabling swap file in FreeNAS

By default FreeNAS does not use disk as virtual memory. If you find your system is memory constrained, perhaps because of a large library of music, you can enable the use of swap disk.

This is done in the FreeNAS menus by selecting SYSTEM, ADVANCED, SWAP. Enable swap file and select an amount of space to that purpose, then reboot.

Attachments

• slimnas-enabling-swap-file.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 765
KIA, then rebuilt, tried more RAM

Yesterday I did something stupid and hosed my T5700 installation. Physically removed power while it was streaming. Actually, I realized what I had done and restored power in just 2-3 seconds, but it was too late. The drive had been damaged.

My only recourse was a rebuild from scratch, which only took an hour...plus time to copy music files again.

Since I was back inside the little box I tried to put a 512 MB PC2700 SODIMM in place. But I found that the unit still would not boot. I'm not entirely certain why. I had been to Fry's and picked up the RAM even though I'd ordered some for the T5700 from an online vendor.

I'll try that RAM when it arrives. Until then I have swapping enabled, and assigned 256 MB of swap space. It doesn't seem to be using any yet.

OK, so the new RAM arrived from ZipZoomFly via Fedex. It's Corsair Value select DDR1, 512 MB, 266 MHz, PC2100. The T5700 likes it just fine. It was $25 plus a little for 2 day shipping.

OTOH, it does not like DDR1 PC2700 333 MHz from Patriot. That goes back to Fry's.

Install to hard drive

I am not getting the menu to install to hard drive. What do I have to do to get that?

Otherwise, the system works perfectly, but only from CD-ROM.

interesting thread - thanks for the write up. I am looking at how best to serve to my squeezebox and have NAS functionality integrated without having a PC on if possible.

One question: putting aside discussion of the merits of Linux v windows, could this be done by keeping the embedded XP OS and adding storage via the existing usb ports. I assume that could work as network storage by sharing the drives on the network, but would that then let you install the slimserver software?

Just a question as I'm a lot more familiar with windows and I would probably prefer to use a windoze based platform than linux if I can....

thanks

In the article you state the USB ports on the T5700s are only USB1.1 but the HP spec says 4 x USB2.0 ports.

Are the ports actually only 1.1?

removing flash card?

How does one get the flash memory out to swap it for a hdd. It looks like there is a plastic pin holding it in. Do you have to take the MB out first to try to get the white plastic pin off? I don't want to force it and break it!
Thanks
James

No, you should be able to squeeze the locking tip of the plastic pin with needlenose pliers. I just abused it a little and it popped right out. I never had to remove the motherboard.

In the article you state the USB ports on the T5700s are only USB1.1 but the HP spec says 4 x USB2.0 ports.

Are the ports actually only 1.1?
It depends upon the exact model that you have. My older T5700s are definitely USB1.1. You can tell if you every try to use them with an external USB attached hard drive. VERY slow. Later models are known to be USB 2.0.

Can anyone recomment a similar slim fanless PC - but with Gigabit ethernet and USB 2 full speed - that can be used to do the same thing as this (squeezecenter on FreeNAS)? I would need to serve videos for a PopcornHour on the unit, so would like more bandwith.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!