What's new

How to config dnsmasq to resolve static IPv6 hosts?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mlai

Regular Contributor
I have a AC87U and on Merlin's 376.47. I have implemented dhcp6s.postconf jffs scripts to get the dhcp6s to dish out local DNS server (running on my Synology) primarily to resolve local static IPv6 hosts (NAS/printer..... etc)

Is there anyway to add these static IPv6 hosts to dnsmasq on the AC87U and have it resolve for local clients so that I don't have to run the DNS on my NAS?

Many thanks.

I have a AC87U and on Merlin's 376.47. I have implemented dhcp6s.postconf jffs scripts to get the dhcp6s to dish out local DNS server (running on my Synology) primarily to resolve local static IPv6 hosts (NAS/printer..... etc)

Is there anyway to add these static IPv6 hosts to dnsmasq on the AC87U and have it resolve for local clients so that I don't have to run the DNS on my NAS?

Many thanks.

I would try adding them to the hosts file on the router.

Thanks RMerlin! I see that I can do a hosts.add, but not hosts.dnsmasq.add. Does it make a difference?

Thanks RMerlin! I see that I can do a hosts.add, but not hosts.dnsmasq.add. Does it make a difference?

I think these are added on top of the system's hosts file, which is why router.asus.com gets properly resolved (it only appears in hosts - hosts.dnsmasq seems to only contain static reservations).

Next step is..... Is it possible for dnsmasq to in some way resolve other local EUI64 mac generated stateless IPv6 addresses?;) I have radvd and dhcp6s configured. Would be perfect if it can resolve local (non-static) ipv6 addresses as well.....:)

But then, since dnsmasq is not a full featured DNS server, and dhcp6s only dishes out the DNS to windows clients, maybe wishful thinking on my part.....:(

Last edited: