What's new

How to limit ethernet client to just the Internet

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

homer_at

Occasional Visitor
I have the RT-AC87U with the 9529 firmware version. I want to limit a new Ethernet client so that it can just see the internet, but prevent it from seeing or communicating with other clients on my home network. I have done this for a wireless IOT device by using a guest wireless account, but my new device uses an Ethernet connection. I see options to allow network but deny Internet, but not vis-versa.

Thanks
in advance.

I have the RT-AC87U with the 9529 firmware version. I want to limit a new Ethernet client so that it can just see the internet, but prevent it from seeing or communicating with other clients on my home network. I have done this for a wireless IOT device by using a guest wireless account, but my new device uses an Ethernet connection. I see options to allow network but deny Internet, but not vis-versa.

Thanks
in advance.

Sounds like you need to migrate away from basic home routers and look at something with more features - pfsense, Ubiquity, Mikrotik..

That's not possible.

Thanks for the response, but I had hoped this would be possible. I am no network guy, but aren't there some configurations using an additional router and a subnet where machines on the subnet cannot see the main network? I do have an old router I could use.

With all the news about IOTs getting hacked, i am looking to prevent the bad guys from getting in via my IOT hub and getting to my PCs and NAS.

thanks
homer_at

Last edited:
IoT devices are usually wireless, not Ethernet. With wireless it's possible to isolate clients from the rest of the LAN.

My Smartthings Hub, yet to be installed, uses Ethernet. The individual sensors are wireless though.

Thanks
homer_at

Thanks for the response, but I had hoped this would be possible. I am no network guy, but aren't there some configurations using an additional router and a subnet where machines on the subnet cannot see the main network? I do have an old router I could use.
homer_at
You should be able to establish this with your additional router, with connecting them LAN to WAN.
iso-network3.png

The devices on Router 1 will not be able to communicate with the devices on Router 2. Devices on Router 2 however are able to see the devices on router 1.

You could let Router 2 provide WiFi instead of Router 1.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!