What's new

I need a gaming router which one ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Lethasniper007

Regular Contributor
-don't need a AC router have no AC clients

-Need somthing with good QOS settings that actually work

-need a router that won't slow down when playing online when others just browsing the web, facebook

- need a router that will support multiple Xbox console without NAT issues.

Don't need AC clients to get at least some of the benefits of the newest designs.

Multiple Xbox usage seems to favor the latest RMerlin builds.

QoS... a can of worms... The RT-AC68U or the RT-AC87U seems to be the most robust lately for Asus routers. Sorry, can't comment on other brands.

What are your ISP speeds and how many devices are connected for online playing in a typical session?

My Isp speed is 150 MB down and 15MB up
There are 2 Xbox 360s playing online at the same time while others 2 users are on facebook or just browsing.

Not Hard

Your 150/15 connections is fast enough to support that requirement.

The Asus RT-N56U will support all of your specs:
- It works on 802.11N
- It supports QoS and the default QoS rules are pretty good for your purposes.
- The QoS above will prevent other activities from interrupting your gaming.
- The Router has hardware-NAT acceleration built-in, so it won't be a bottle-neck.

Variables you didn't consider that might interrupt gaming:
- Wireless signal strength of the devices on your LAN in their standard location.
- Wireless signal interference in your environment.
- Is your modem actually giving you the full 150/15?
- Most FPS gaming don't actually use or require a lot of band-width, which you have in abundance, they require low latency.

Solutions:
- Cable in as many of your devices as you can with CAT-5E or CAT-6 cable.
- Get a visual for how "polluted" your wireless space is with a program like inSSIDer. There's no magic gaming router / wireless access point that will stop you from getting lag when your wireless signal is suffering from interference. Cabling in eliminates this problem.
- Relocate your devices to improve the signal strength on all of them (not just the X-Box's).
- Recheck the number of devices you have and whether those devices are 802.11 A, G or N and whether they support 2.4GHz or 5GHz or both, most small networks today will have 1 phone, 1 computer, and 1 tablet-like device (e-reader or iPad) per person, in addition to Game systems and video-streaming. Each device that is connected to the wireless access point competes for bandwidth and the scarcer resource here: latency/time. The Asus RT-N56U is a dual-band router so that helps a lot but not as much if most/all of your devices are stuck on the 2.4GHz radio.

-Morgan

For Gaming, lantecy is the most important thing

gaming on wifi most of time adding some bits of lantecy/lag
it really depends on the router placement, noise, etc.

So imo the best is to use LAN cable

for NAT i think its more problem in past, most router nowdays shouldnt have problem with NAT routing

also you want to make sure to limit total bandwith usage below/around 80% especially upload, as when u reaching ur max. bandwith it will start adding huge-lantecy

for QoS, i never find stock router QoS really good, it works to some point but not perfect.
its like i set priority for PSN+Xboxlive to highest and browsing+download (port80) to lowest, sometimes it still allow download to maximum bandwith speed i set
also other ports can still taking up the bandwith and causing lag (like torrent or others)
maybe custom firmware do better? i am not sure

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!