What's new

I'd like to replace my conventional home router

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

RJE

New Around Here
with dd-wrt / openwrt installed onto pc.

Can you suggest detailed / step-by-step instruction guides intended for newbies ?

I'd appreciate any insights you may have on this

RJE

Can you suggest detailed / step-by-step instruction guides intended for newbies ?

I'd appreciate any insights you may have on this

RJE

Sorry, what is conventional home router? What router model do you have? You mean you are trying to flash 3rd party firmware? How to instruction is at OpenWrt or dd-wrt site. Some times when mistake is made playing with firmwares, you can end up with dead(bricked) router.

AFAIK, neither DD-WRT nor OpenWRT work on regular PC. Unless you mean something else with "PC"?

Are you "upgrading" to get more features or as a learning experience?

If you want features, check out Ubiquiti's EdgeRouter X or EdgeRouter Lite devices, or maybe something from MikroTik.

If you want a learning experience, install pfSense or IPFire on a PC.

Do be careful though. A poorly configured gateway router can open your network to very dangerous things...
A good (free) source of computer networking information can be found at http://intronetworks.cs.luc.edu/current/html/.

I can appreciate your situation, but I'm concerned that you're not thinking thru things.

For most folks - a Tier1 Router/AP from a leading vendor is more that enough.

Thank you all for your eye opening comments
I've decided to put my ambitious plan on hold until i'm wiser
RJE

Can you define "low power consumption PC" ?
RJE
It's wise to look before leaping, I did not. I bought an HP ML10 with the plan to run pfsense, Windows and NAS4Free as VMs. Then after reading some more I wiped out.

Why? Decided it was not worth having one point of failure. Also, if the virtual router were compromised my NAS would be exposed as well.

Ok, counter point to that buy a stand-alone like an Intel NUC for pfsense. After looking at those and the cost I decided to tofu fold over my cash & put it back in my pocket. The netgear router I have with ddwrt works just fine.

In the future if / when I outgrow the netgear maybe I'll revisit pfsense.