What's new

In need of good video(s) for Cat 6a cable stripping and punch down practices

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Miner

Regular Contributor
Title explains the request.

I'm looking for one or more "How to" videos showing Cat 6a cable being installed, correctly, on to a punch block on a patch panel.

I've searched on YouTube and some, many, most of the things people say and do are questionable.

I'm looking for practices that fully and completely respect the specifications that allow for 500 Mhz bandwidth and 10 Gbps.

I have read the specs, more exactly cable manufacturer's summaries of the actual specs from ANSI/TIA-568.2-D and TIA.

There is not much difference in crimping or punching down CAT 5, 6, 6a or 7. The connectors can be different. Use connectors and jacks made for the cable. In running cable avoid sharp bends. And it is a really good idea to not use solid conductor cable for patch cables.

There is not much difference in crimping or punching down CAT 5, 6, 6a or 7. The connectors can be different. Use connectors and jacks made for the cable. In running cable avoid sharp bends. And it is a really good idea to not use solid conductor cable for patch cables.
Interesting videos, thanks.

I know the number of twists per inch in each pair is greater for 6a vs. 6, and I was interested to find out if there are any restrictions, limitations or good practices when the pairs are untwisted, straightened and punched. People bring this up in videos but the work varies and there's no consensus.

The guy in 1st video says make the pairs 'as straight as possible.' I've seen other vids where people say make 'perfectly straight.' Yet the specs have more twists per unit length and making the pairs straight would seem to contradict the twists.

It's also possible I am over thinking this point, expecting to see or read something, some practice, that does not exist.

I know the number of twists per inch in each pair is greater for 6a vs. 6, and I was interested to find out if there are any restrictions, limitations or good practices when the pairs are untwisted, straightened and punched. People bring this up in videos but the work varies and there's no consensus.

The guy in 1st video says make the pairs 'as straight as possible.' I've seen other vids where people say make 'perfectly straight.' Yet the specs have more twists per unit length and making the pairs straight would seem to contradict the twists.

It's also possible I am over thinking this point, expecting to see or read something, some practice, that does not exist.

6a is a bit more sensitive to methods, most have the plastic cross in them and many have a foil on each pair that needs to be stripped back a certain amount so as not to short to the foils on other pairs etc. If you're specifically looking for 6a then I'd do some research on the methods for the particular type you have, FTP, FFTP, SFTP, etc. Each has different requirements.

Generally speaking if the distances are short and there isn't a ton of interference, it will be pretty forgiving but might as well do it right (or as right as possible).

For punching down you should not untwist at all, just open one twist enough to fit over the divider. For crimping they don't have to be perfectly straight, they'll straighten as inserted. But Cat6a requires different crimpers and ends than 5e or 6.

I seem to have answered my own question. At app. 12:25 in this video (from TrueCable.com) the guy mentions the 1/2 in. untwist specification. I read this spec. somewhere in the past and the explanations now make sense.

https://www.truecable.com/blogs/cable-academy/how-to-terminate-a-cat6a-shielded-field-term-plug

Yes, the method shown there is good, the twists go right up to the punch down. Personally I like to "open" one of the twists in the middle and force it down over the divider (leaving it twisted on either side), it is easier to keep the twists up tight against the punch that way, but everyone has their own method.

As far as an RJ45 crimp, you can untwist a longer length and just trim it to the correct 1/2" or whatever your connector needs before inserting it. I prefer to do that as it results in a nice straight, flat end to insert into the connector.

Now shielded and foil requires special attention as well. If there is simply foil around the pairs only (FTP) you do not want to ground those, nor let them touch each other. They are there to isolate pairs from each other and if you join them, you defeat that. If it is shielded (either FFTP or SFTP) then grounding one end, typically the end at the switch is necessary, and how you integrate the foil into that is a bit tricky. STP is easier but decent CAT6A and up will have foil around each pair and must be handled correctly.

Terminating 6A (or 6 with the plastic divider, which isn't too common but is out there) into RJ45 is a bit difficult and requires special connectors and tools (as you can see at that link). In reality it is often better to terminate it on a punchdown jack or patch panel and use pre-made patch cables from there to switch.

CAT.6, CAT.6a, CAT.7, CAT.8 cables use RJ45 plug + Load bar(guide). When you put 4pairs into Load bar you have to make them
almost straight. You can't terminate it if you don't. Some plugs have 1 load bar or 2 load bars. You don't have to use Shielded Plugs like STP. Some RJ45 require dedicated tools. It depends on Brands and Models. Just use standard tools with standard RJ45.
This plug? $68.99? 🤣 That plug is overpriced. That kind of plug is just under $2.
Who's using those plugs which you linked? Some AUDIO idiots are using them. It doesn't give you any difference. Sometimes, you can use them if you put it in and out a lot.
Just watch bbunge's link. That's the standard termination.
If you have enough money buy anything you want. Who cares?

Last edited:
I'm confused. Plugs I linked?
Look at the youtube video in the link.
Then,

An I forgot to tell you something. Some RJ45 plugs has Twisted Load Bars. It makes 4 pairs to twisted. I have them, but I don't use them.
It bothers me a lot.