What's new

intel AC7260 on Linux, what kind of speed are you guys getting ?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

soulbadguy

Occasional Visitor
Hi there,
I just noticed that my laptop is capping at around 8MB on linux (ubuntu 14.10 x64 3.16 kernel) vs about 60 MB on windows with the same machine.
Are you guys getting better throughput than that ?
Thanks

Hi there,
I just noticed that my laptop is capping at around 8MB on linux (ubuntu 14.10 x64 3.16 kernel) vs about 60 MB on windows with the same machine.
Are you guys getting better throughput than that ?
Thanks

I've got a Chromebox (ChromeOS is a variant of Linux) with an Intel AC7260 in it. Best wireless client I have ever owned. Amazing speeds. Never mind that ChromeOS is crap when it comes to networking, I just use this $150 box for streaming to an HD flat screen in a bedroom, and for that it's amazing. I'm on a 300/20 Mbps plan from TWC (their top plan at the moment), and my download speeds are always...and I mean always...over 300+Mbps (measured with any number of tests, including Speedtest.net). The Chromebox is on the same floor as the router, and is separated by two walls (a staircase is in the middle), so it's about 10 feet from the router. I swear, it's the fastest connection I have ever owned in any wireless device. And it's rock solid.

Now if someone would just develop a ChromeOS app for VLC, and for Silverlight, I'd be able to stream from Showtime (I can stream from any other cable channel that I subscribe to, but not Showtime, which has some weird implementation of Silverlight that is apparently different from everyone else's versions....).

I also upgraded one of my Win8.1 laptops, an HP i-7 Envy, which had an OEM 802.11a/b/g/n wireless adapter (Ralink) to an Intel AC7260, and it works great in that as well.

The only difficulty with the card (in Win8.1) is what a lot of other people have complained about: When installed on some laptops, putting the computer into "sleep/hibernation" and then waking it up sometimes causes the wireless adapter to need to be reset; if you don't reset it, the card refuses to connect to anything. So you just need to go into Device Manager and disable and then re-enable it; takes about a minute and some may see it as a major pain in the butt, but it doesn't happen all the time so I can live with it. I find that the performance is equal to the Asus AC53USB dongle that I used to use in that laptop, which also provided excellent 5ghz throughput and speeds, but which was clumsy and a pain to plug in and unplug every time I put the laptop into my laptop bag.

I have no issues at all with the basic wireless performance of the AC7260, whether in ChromeOS or Win8.1. Others here and elsewhere have had many complaints (mostly Windows users), so YMMV.

I have no idea why your adapter would be capping speeds at 8Mbps; what is your link rate connection between the adapter and the router? I'm not familiar with the settings for the Linux drivers, but they can't be all that different than those used in Windows. Post them up and we can then look at how you have the adapter set up on your machine.

Last edited: