What's new

IPv6 Not working AC5300

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Something easy to try....if you don't get an ipv6 address, telnet/ssh to the router and enter

service restart_dhcp6c

Something easy to try....if you don't get an ipv6 address, telnet/ssh to the router and enter

service restart_dhcp6c

Doesn't seem to help.

Code:
Dec  2 21:07:15 rc_service: service 29224:notify_rc restart_dhcp6c
Dec  2 21:07:16 odhcp6c[29227]: (re)starting transaction on eth0
Dec  2 21:07:17 odhcp6c[29227]: Starting SOLICIT transaction (timeout 4294967295s, max rc 0)

service restart_dhcp6c
I can confirm that ipv6 is broke on rt-ac5300 but not my rt-ac68u and that "service restart_dhcp6c" via ssh does get me an ipv6 on the 5300 and this is where the problem is "with dhcp6 starting up" how can we fix this in merlins next fw release?

Last edited:
I can confirm that ipv6 is broke on rt-ac5300 but not my rt-ac68u and that "service restart_dhcp6c" via ssh does get me an ipv6 on the 5300 and this is where the problem is "with dhcp6 starting up" how can we fix this in merlins next fw release?

Restarting the dhcp service doesn't get me an IPv6 address.

I am having the same issue with my RT-AC88U for the past several months; it does not get assigned an IPV6 address from Comcast. It used to work just fine. I could get an IPV6 address every time one was requested by the router. After a firmware upgrade several months ago, I would have to force the router to try to get an IPV6 address by either rebooting it or enabling/disabling IPV6. Sometimes this would take multiple attempts, but it would always grab an IPV6 address eventually. However, since upgrading to 380.65 Alpha 1, I just can't get an IPV6 address at all anymore. Alpha 2 hasn't helped.

I can connect this router to my backup DSL connection through AT&T and it grabs an IPV6 address every time, as it should. Something is definitely broken with the combination of ASUS/Comcast/IPV6. Sure wish we could figure out why it isn't working correctly.

Update: After posting the above, I noticed Alpha 3 is available, so I loaded it up on my AC88U. Wouldn't you know, it grabbed an IPV6 when it booted up after the upgrade finished. I guess I will have to wait and see if this firmware has somehow improved the IPV6 situation. My fingers are crossed.

Last edited:
When i upgraded from 380.62 to the latest 380.65 alpha i wasn't getting an ipv6 address either (ac56u) i've tracked it down to a change between 380.63 alpha 2 and 380.63 (firewall: support fixed interface ID (EUI64) ipv6 destination addresses) you can test if that's the issue by turning off the ipv6 firewall and reconnect. I was having some ipv6 rules set with nothing in the local ip field and apparently that broke it. (or the universe is playing tricks on me since it works fine now with that change reverted). Hope it helps!

Restarting the dhcp service doesn't get me an IPv6 address.
It works every time for me or almost. I believe i did need to do it twice 1 time but for the most part it works for me it doesnt work instantly after you restart dhcp it takes up to about a minute also can you confirm you are getting an ipv6 to a different device and you have the settings correct on your router and I assume you have comcast. I also see some saying the new alpha 3 might fix ipv6. >>>>>Update just installed 65 alpha 3 and it did NOT fix IPV6 and I could no longer make it work by restarting dhcp6c so downgraded to 65 alpha 2 and restarting dhcp6c works again...I also didnt factory reset after alpha 3

Last edited:
When i upgraded from 380.62 to the latest 380.65 alpha i wasn't getting an ipv6 address either (ac56u) i've tracked it down to a change between 380.63 alpha 2 and 380.63 (firewall: support fixed interface ID (EUI64) ipv6 destination addresses) you can test if that's the issue by turning off the ipv6 firewall and reconnect. I was having some ipv6 rules set with nothing in the local ip field and apparently that broke it. (or the universe is playing tricks on me since it works fine now with that change reverted). Hope it helps!

I had tried turning off the IPV6 firewall and it made no difference: prior to loading Alpha 3 today, I was not getting an IPV6 address.

Also, my problems started further back than the firmware you cited. I believe my issues began with 380.60 Beta 2. See the change log below. I believe the IPV6 changes in this build are what broke it on my router:

380.60 Beta 2 (5-July-2016)
IMPORTANT: The firmware image file format was changed by Asus.
Starting with 380.60, you will no longer be able to
flash versions older than 380.60, or Asus versions
older than 3.0.0.4.380_3000.

You can currently downgrade by using Firmware Recovery
mode, but there's not guarantee that this will keep
working in the future.

- NEW: Merged with GPL 3479. This includes the new file format
required for certification purposes.
- NEW: Option to enable overhead calculation on Traditional QoS
for DSL users (ARM-only)
- NEW: Option on System page to disable the new forced
redirection to router.asus.com (defaults to disabled)
- CHANGED: Updated OpenVPN to 2.3.11
- CHANGED: Allow to specify IPv6 prefixes up to 126 on the IPv6 config
- CHANGED: Networkmap will now announce itself as "Asuswrt/networkmap"
when connecting to LAN's web services.
- FIXED: OpenVPN server instances weren't properly reporting
if an error occurred at start time.
- FIXED: wget was unable to access https site due to not
having a CA bundle to verify certificates
- FIXED: odhcp6c was sending bogus preferred prefixes, so
anything larger than 64 could result in an invalid
prefix

- FIXED: Language selector is missing on router set for the
JP region (reverted Asus change)
- FIXED: Client names with single quotes couldn't be edited
in the networkmap client popup (Asus bug)
- FIXED: Router wouldn't run SMB to provide browser master
or Wins services if no USB disk was plugged
- FIXED: Router would sometime fail to renew a WAN DHCP lease.
(fix by theMIROn)

alpha 3 does not fix this issue for me (not sure if it was supposed to, but it sounded like BMWDude got an IPv6 address with it?

Turns out I had just gotten lucky when I got that IPV6 address previously. Still having the same difficulty obtaining another after a modem reboot today. So, Alpha 3 did not fix it for me, either.

I was browsing another forum and came across this possible fix.....

make (or add to) /jffs/scripts/init-start
Code:
#!/bin/sh
echo 0 > /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/`nvram get wan0_ifname`/forwarding

then reboot
(of course leave out the shebang if adding to an existing script)

IPv6 stopped working on my 87U with Rogers. I can confirm that the following resolve the IPv6 problem with the current alpha firmware. IPv6 with Rogers has been working flawlessly with previous firmwares.

# Working
odhcp6c -df -R -s /tmp/dhcp6c -N try -c 00030001000000000001 -FP 0:ae57a -r82 -r83 eth0