What's new

Is it possible to run AdGuard Home on Orbi LBR20?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MamaLbh

New Around Here
Here is the github for AGH.

It is for OpenWRT, and my understanding is the Orbi's firmware is modified OpenWRT.
My Orbi LBR20 has Voxel Firmware. I can add Entware if needed, as there is no sudo, apt-get, or opkg functions on it currently. I have SSH access via Putty.

Anyone know if this is possible?

Hmmm..... There seems to be a lot of interest.

Worst case scenario, could running the installer of AGH (after installing Entware and sudo) brick my device?
If that's not a risk, I might give it a try.

Do you really need AdGuard Home? Why not just use the AdGuard DNS servers? I have a R7800 with DNSCrypt pointing to the Adguard DNS. I configure Firefox to use Cloudflare. That way I can customize the adblocking at the browser while the default DNS for the network is secure.

Do you really need AdGuard Home? Why not just use the AdGuard DNS servers? I have a R7800 with DNSCrypt pointing to the Adguard DNS. I configure Firefox to use Cloudflare. That way I can customize the adblocking at the browser while the default DNS for the network is secure.
Blocking ads isn't actually my goal, I prefer to use a browser extension for that. It is the ability to send some devices to OpenDNS, safesearch, and moderate restricted YouTube, while sending others through cloudflare. AGH is feature rich, has a GUI, and allows me to see what the individual devices are doing (ie attempting access to blocked sites) which is nice.

Honestly, I would happily settle for being able to set up my Orbi with defaulting to 'safe group': OpenDNS, safesearch, and moderate restricted YouTube, with an exempt group of MACs for my IoT devices and 'grown up' devices. I have found lots of bits and pieces about doing this, but haven't found enough information to know how to do it.

Here are some links that I've looked at that might be applicable:
To separate who goes to what DNS here, and the reverse method (more like what I want to do) is in the comments
This is for PiHole users, but seems like it should work. Not sure how to exempt certain MACs (or if it's even possible)
This is an interesting and complex solution... but reading the comments it is unclear if it works properly, and it is designed for OpenWRT.

Blocking ads isn't actually my goal, I prefer to use a browser extension for that. It is the ability to send some devices to OpenDNS, safesearch, and moderate restricted YouTube, while sending others through cloudflare.
@Sizzlechest suggests you what I already suggested.

Do not you consider to do something like reverse configuration? Vice versa. I.e. you set your ORBI to use AdGuard (according to @Sizzlechest and me, using DNSCrypt). But any of your 'adult' gadget just: use Cloudflare DNS in your network config without any restrictions. I.e. your children will be always restricted. But your e.g. PC/laptop will be using Cloudflare DNS...

No possibility to install OpenWRT's AdGuard to ORBI. And even problematic to use Entware with ORBI LBR20 (no USB).

There is possibility to use 'iptables' for specific MAC addresses as I wrote you. But it requires some knowledge and experience in Linux console set up.

Voxel.

@Sizzlechest suggests you what I already suggested.

Do not you consider to do something like reverse configuration? Vice versa. I.e. you set your ORBI to use AdGuard (according to @Sizzlechest and me, using DNSCrypt). But any of your 'adult' gadget just: use Cloudflare DNS in your network config without any restrictions. I.e. your children will be always restricted. But your e.g. PC/laptop will be using Cloudflare DNS...

No possibility to install OpenWRT's AdGuard to ORBI. And even problematic to use Entware with ORBI LBR20 (no USB).

There is possibility to use 'iptables' for specific MAC addresses as I wrote you. But it requires some knowledge and experience in Linux console set up.

Voxel.
Hmm. The AdGuard DNS (at least what is described here) *might* do what I want - but it is not available to the public yet.
Using AdGuard public DNS will not give me the kind of control I want, but I will play with it for a bit.

So... I guess I will try to play with the 'reverse method' above.

Thank you so much for all your time.

I am going to install AdGuardHome to my raspberry pi and use that.
I will need to set the router's DNS server to a specific IP address.

It looks like server_names in DNScrypt uses nick names. Would this line work in there server_names: = '192.168.1.198' ?
(where 192.168.1.198 is the Pi's IP)

ETA - maybe doing it here is better? /tmp/udhcpd.conf and change option.dns

Or maybe this? Use IP Tables

Side Note:
Usually changing servers is pretty easy in the router's GUI, but for Orbi it doesn't work. Pic of set DNS servers set, but it doesn't use them:
1642964190855.png

1642964326002.png

Last edited:
Thank you so much for all your time.

I am going to install AdGuardHome to my raspberry pi and use that.
I will need to set the router's DNS server to a specific IP address.

It looks like server_names in DNScrypt uses nick names. Would this line work in there server_names: = '192.168.1.198' ?
(where 192.168.1.198 is the Pi's IP)

ETA - maybe doing it here is better? /tmp/udhcpd.conf and change option.dns

Or maybe this? Use IP Tables

Side Note:
Usually changing servers is pretty easy in the router's GUI, but for Orbi it doesn't work. Pic of set DNS servers set, but it doesn't use them:
View attachment 38862
View attachment 38864
I have a RBK50 v2 without USB, but I think this also could work in LBR20. I have my own AdGuardHome selfhosted in a Rpi4, and DNS points to that IP.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!