What's new

Is it possible to use a modem/router as modem only?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

geno888

Occasional Visitor
Hi :)

After buying the new router I am having a lot of troubles, and nothing is working anymore as it used to be... A download manager I was using 24/7 for months now crashes all the time in a totally random way (sometimes after many hours, sometimes after few minutes :confused: ), and the tech support is pretty useless because they only blame the firewall and provide no real solution. On a side note, I already tried to disable firewall, but it didn't solve, so I still have no idea what it the cause. The only thing I know for sure is that everything started since when I installed the new router (a TP-Link TL-R600VPN).

Now I'm tired of all this crap and I decided to buy a new router hoping to solve all of this once forever...

As I already said in my other threads, I am not interested at all in the wireless connections, but according to the reviews the Asus N66U seems able to manage flawlessly a huge amount of wired connections and currently this router is at top of my wish list.

I also read that some users reported a overheating problem with the N66, but if I'm not wrong, the main source of heat is caused by the wireless part, so if I'll totally disable the wireless can I assume that the router will run cool all the time?

BTW, my problem is that I also need a modem.

After browsing many stores, I noticed that there are only two brands producing modems: D-link and Tp-link.

I bought two D-link and both died after a couple of days, so I'll never buy anymore that crap. The TP-link I'm using right now seems pretty unstable, so I'd like to get something better. I also have a linksys AM200, but that modem was used with my previous router, the one I replaced after getting a lot of disconnections. In the doubt that this modem is damaged too, I need to buy a new modem.

In a store I found a Linksys WAG120N that is a router with embedded modem. According to reviews, the asus N66U has a lot better wired capabilities, so I'd like to use the asus router with the WAG120N modem.

Is it possible to do that? The linksys has a telephone line connector and 4 LAN ports, so how can I connect the linksys to the asus then? Is it sufficient to connect a regular LAN cable from any LAN port of linksys to the WAN port of asus?

Even more important, is it possible to disable the router in the WAG120N so it can be used as modem only?

You might also look for ZyXEL modems.

Check the WAG120N's settings for a Bridge mode. But first just connect one of its LAN ports to the WAN port on your ASUS. This should work just fine unless you need to run Internet accessible servers on your LAN.

Be sure to connect all wired LAN devices to the ASUS' ports. The only thing connected to the Linksys LAN ports should be the ASUS' WAN port.

I feel that using a DSL/Cable modem that's NOT integrated with a router is by far the best way to go.

Better yet: Get the modem-only from your ISP and not retail. They own the modem. They make it work, for free. They sustain it. That's what I do, and over the years, I've had 4 or so modem swaps at no cost; some were upgrades at no cost.

You own whatever router you want, and change them as you wish.

You might also look for ZyXEL modems.

Check the WAG120N's settings for a Bridge mode. But first just connect one of its LAN ports to the WAN port on your ASUS. This should work just fine unless you need to run Internet accessible servers on your LAN.

Be sure to connect all wired LAN devices to the ASUS' ports. The only thing connected to the Linksys LAN ports should be the ASUS' WAN port.

I'll have a look at zyxel too. Currently I'm testing linksys AM200 (the modem I was using with the previous router, when I had the frequent disconnections problems). So far so good, but it's a bit too early to draw conclusions.

I feel that using a DSL/Cable modem that's NOT integrated with a router is by far the best way to go.

Better yet: Get the modem-only from your ISP and not retail. They own the modem. They make it work, for free. They sustain it. That's what I do, and over the years, I've had 4 or so modem swaps at no cost; some were upgrades at no cost.

You own whatever router you want, and change them as you wish.
Too bad my provider doesn't give the modem for free. They give the modem/router (it is not possible to choose a modem only) at payment for a monthly fee.

Other than being at payment, the router provided is pretty suxxy, so I prefer to buy a good router and save the monthly fee :D

BTW, what is the advantage to have a separate modem? What's wrong if the modem is integrated inside the router? Actually this configuration is more troublesome in my opinion, because there is no way to access the modem unless you connect a net cable directly to the device. I tried many times, but there is no way to access the modem through the router. This is quite annoying, because modem must have a different submask so before I can access the modem I also need to change the NIC IP first

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!