What's new

Is my guest network set up wrong? Or do I just misunderstand it?

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

MonkeyK

Occasional Visitor
I was recently playing around with the mobile app fing. I had an old cell phone on my guest network and scanned it.
I was surprised to see a listing of all devices on my main network as well as guest network devices. How can that be? I would have thought that the guest network would be separate and unable to see devices on the main network.
Do I just have the wrong idea? If so, what protection does the guest network really offer?

My router is an Asus rt-n66u and is currently set up with three networks:
Main: secured with a strong password. For all computers in the house, with access to our nas, and printer
Guest: secured with a easy to enter password. Just Internet access
Iot: secured with a strong password. For devices that I don't know anything about. Just Internet access.

Wow. What an oversight on my part! Thank you for pointing that out!
That said, I updated the "Access Intranet" setting, the router restarted and I rescanned.
Now it looks like
IoT: shows about 5 devices, including the router and the phone that I am using to scan.
Guest: shows all devices from IoT + a few from guest
Main: shows all devices from guest + a few from main

I can live with this, but it still doesn't seem right that one guest network sees all devices in another

Try to clean the cache from the PC or device you use to scan the LAN.
Sometime what you see is just the cache of previous session(s).

Yup. that was it. Funny how my iPhone doesn't have an option to clear the app's data, but my daughters old Android does.

Yup. that was it. Funny how my iPhone doesn't have an option to clear the app's data, but my daughters old Android does.

Android > Apple