What's new

Just upgraded n66u to .36 beta 1 sdk5. Hmmmm.

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

mightyoakbob

Regular Contributor
Just upgraded my n66u for the first time for over 6 months in the hope it would fix 5g which was unusable on the previous build.

First the good news.
The 5ghz is far more stable, doesn't fade out now and doesn't keep switching between 20 and 40 bandwidth, it keeps the 40.

The not so good news.
2.4 ghz is down about 5 or 6 db everywhere which is ok ish.
Inssider says it has max bit rate as 450 same as before.
5ghz is 10db lower than 2.4 everywhere but the big disappointment is the max bit rate. It started out at 450, wow but after an hour dropped to 150. I have no idea why, I've done nothing and there are no other signals on 5 ghz. Nothing I do will get it back up.

This upgrade took about 4 hours as I did a factory reset and put all the reserved dhcp and Mac filter data back in by hand. Have I wasted my time? Although more stable it is 3x slower and 10db weaker so there is still no point in using it.

Any suggestions what I can do about the max bit rate?

Thanks

Cheers

Bob.

RT-N66U B1 FW upgrade from 35_4 sdk5 to 36 beta1 sdk5

Provider is AT&T dsl basic. I have a HP dv6-310us notebook with a broadcom 4313 single radio chip.
Rt-N66U With FW 34_4 connection was constant 72 Mbps on the windows 7 wireless connection status. With FW 36 beta 1 connection starts at 25 Mbps and works it way up to 72 Mbps after a minute or more. Very erratic!
The signal level is - 35dBm to 40dBm with 35_4 and -25dBm to -35dBm with inSSIDer. My PPP is on the dsl modem.

Provider is AT&T dsl basic. I have a HP dv6-310us notebook with a broadcom 4313 single radio chip.
Rt-N66U With FW 34_4 connection was constant 72 Mbps on the windows 7 wireless connection status. With FW 36 beta 1 connection starts at 25 Mbps and works it way up to 72 Mbps after a minute or more. Very erratic!
The signal level is - 35dBm to 40dBm with 35_4 and -25dBm to -35dBm with inSSIDer. My PPP is on the dsl modem.

Connection rate means little, as it can fluctuate based on power management. Do an actual file transfer to test the actual throughput you get when you are actively using the link.

Also, don't forget to do a factory default reset + manual reconfiguration when switching SDK.

Connection rate means little, as it can fluctuate based on power management. Do an actual file transfer to test the actual throughput you get when you are actively using the link.

Also, don't forget to do a factory default reset + manual reconfiguration when switching SDK.

Thanks RMerlin!! May you have a good new year and many more.
Will try an actual file transfer. I don't think I switched between SDk's yet.
All the transfers of FW on this RT-N66U B1 have worked without a problem so far. All FW transfers took less than 5 minutes on my setup. Manual reconfiguration is another matter. I appreciate your work !!

I don't think I switched between SDk's yet.

If you upgraded from the original firmware and it was version 3.0.0.4.3xx, then you did a switch from SDK6 to SDK5 (3.0.0.4.276 is the Asus one still running SDK5).

If your wifi is working well then feel free to stick with your current settings. Be warned that you might discover some issues later on down the road, just be aware of the possibility.

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!