What's new

Upgraded my ASUS, issues with NordVPN via OpenVPN

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

asusface

New Around Here
Hello. First post
I've owned an ASUS TUF-AX5400 for some time, and have successfully run Nord VPN via OpenVPN, following the guide on the Nord site

A couple of weeks ago I finally applied the Merlin FW to the router - 3004.388.5_0-gnuton1_tuf specifically

I got it from here: https://github.com/gnuton/asuswrt-merlin.ng/releases/tag/3004.388.5_0-gnuton1 (thanks @GNUton )

Now... despite following the steps provided on the Nord site, I cannot get an active VPN running - https://support.nordvpn.com/hc/en-us/articles/20319214011921-AsusWRT-Merlin-setup-with-NordVPN

I was particularly confused by Nord's suggestion to use their DNS servers - is this really necessary?

---

The screen on the router management page has changed, the previously available 'VPN Fusion' has gone. Fine, but I can't see clearly if I'm applied the right settings

The other issue is that I can't seem to use the ASUS iphone app to turn the VPN on and off as I please - this was super useful

---

Completely understand that Merlin offers so much, and really dont want to have to downgrade my router... so any advice appreciated

thanks

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 11.02.51.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 11.02.51.png
    177.7 KB · Views: 49
Hello. First post
I've owned an ASUS TUF-AX5400 for some time, and have successfully run Nord VPN via OpenVPN, following the guide on the Nord site

A couple of weeks ago I finally applied the Merlin FW to the router - 3004.388.5_0-gnuton1_tuf specifically

I got it from here: https://github.com/gnuton/asuswrt-merlin.ng/releases/tag/3004.388.5_0-gnuton1 (thanks @GNUton )

Now... despite following the steps provided on the Nord site, I cannot get an active VPN running - https://support.nordvpn.com/hc/en-us/articles/20319214011921-AsusWRT-Merlin-setup-with-NordVPN

I was particularly confused by Nord's suggestion to use their DNS servers - is this really necessary?

---

The screen on the router management page has changed, the previously available 'VPN Fusion' has gone. Fine, but I can't see clearly if I'm applied the right settings

The other issue is that I can't seem to use the ASUS iphone app to turn the VPN on and off as I please - this was super useful

---

Completely understand that Merlin offers so much, and really dont want to have to downgrade my router... so any advice appreciated

thanks

Why don't you post some screen shots of your VPN client and any custom config entries you are using? We don't have much to go on here... Also, Nord's guides are horrendous, so I had put together some how-to's here, so please see if this helps?

Why don't you post some screen shots of your VPN client and any custom config entries you are using? We don't have much to go on here... Also, Nord's guides are horrendous, so I had put together some how-to's here, so please see if this helps?

Hey - thanks for sharing that link. I will run thru your steps and see if that helps

Can I take it that the Nord advice to change DNS is nonsense?

Also, will I still be able to use the Asus Router app for easy switching on/off? It doesnt seem to have a switch for clients, just Fusion?

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 14.06.41.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 14.06.41.png
    169.3 KB · Views: 43
  • Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 14.06.50.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-08 at 14.06.50.png
    139.5 KB · Views: 44
  • IMG_804BE6788E4A-1.jpeg
    IMG_804BE6788E4A-1.jpeg
    15.2 KB · Views: 30
Change "Username / Password Auth. Only" to No.

Obviously "Redirect Internet traffic through tunnel" has to be set to something other than No.

Merlin's firmware does not support Asus' phone app. His VPN implementation in particular is completely different.

Yes, the Nord advice to change WAN DNS is nonsense. Use the VPN client's DNS setting (e.g. Disabled or Exclusive).

Change "Username / Password Auth. Only" to No.

Obviously "Redirect Internet traffic through tunnel" has to be set to something other than No.

Merlin's firmware does not support Asus' phone app. His VPN implementation in particular is completely different.

Yes, the Nord advice to change WAN DNS is nonsense. Use the VPN client's DNS setting (e.g. Disabled or Exclusive).
Thats brilliant colin - thanks

My setup didnt work initially but I made your changes and now the vpn is active

Cheers