What's new

Lag issues in-game with 5Ghz RT-AC87U

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Just cause 2ghz is more widely used dont mean 5ghz is gona be clearer, Anything that transmits data wireless can and will interfere with wifi, plain and simple. farther the signal has to go the easier it is to interfere with. Your cell phone, radio signals, remote controls all of it can and will interfere with it.

Simply put it the problem is still there when wired then probably router issue, but if it is not it simple wifi issue, cause by some interference.

For years i used Wireless mouse and keyboard with the receiver less then 6 inchs from both the mouse and kb, kept tell my self i dont see difference between wired and wireless, until i switch back to wired and low and behold i saw huge difference.

I can also do either Wired or Wireless on my pc and it is about 3 feet from the router. and there is difference between wired ping/ms and wireless ping/ms that is noticeable speed might be identical but ping are not, not to mention the random ping spikes wireless gets from random interference which even more noticeable in multi player games/mmo

There will never be wireless option that CANT be interfered with. or is better then wired at lest not with current tech. and even then i doubt it.

Streaming stuff dont care about your ping times it just cares if the data keeps flowing and acceptable speeds. 1 could have 1000mbit connection and have zero issue with streaming but if they have 500ms ping (example) said MMO/ Mulitplayer games will play like trash.

To each his own but wireless is not good idea for gaming which why most use wired still. But if you have no choice in the matter, and have to use wifi, then you have no choice in the matter that wifi will always have chance to be interfered with play having with your ping. which is what is happen.

I am not arguing this point with you. I am simply trying to help the OP figure out his problem and also show him some meaningful tips. BTW have you seen his pingtest results? He is fine. I agree, and i only game using a wire but i also get that for some people it is just a game and they could care less. So please stop because all your doing is using vague examples and exagerations.

At least with what I showed him he can actually see what the difference in latency is for himself.

it not vague examples, and like said if problem persists with WIRED then the issue is with router most likely, if it goes away his issue then its simple issue of wifi is getting interference, the fact he said it works fine in 2ghz suggest that 2ghz isnt picking up interference that 5ghz is. troubleshooting the problem dont get any simpler then that.

5ghz also has shorter range then 2ghz but tends to have higher top end

just cause bandwidth test comes back saying 100mbit and 3ms on wifi dont mean something can't interfere and make the ping spike, which what he complain about. if the ping spike happen when wired then the problem is out side of his network or the router but if it only happen on 5ghz and not 2ghz tells me they have something near by that is interfering with the signal, which also what happen when you try to get a signal on your cell phone in say a elevator something is interfering/blocking the signal.

Again nothing vague about what i said, nor does trouble shooting get any simpler then what i said.

Last edited:
I´m not sure where the problem is but guess it have to do with Quentenna drivers or my wifi client. This problem with lag only appear on 5Ghz wifi never on 2.4Ghz wifi.

I play a lot of games online (FPS/MMO) like BF 3/4, CounterStrike - GO, WoT (World of Tanks), WoW (World of Warcraft) so connection is very important.

So whenever I start playing and is on the 5Ghz wifi network my ping runs up to 999 ms after couple of minutes and after 2 seconds back to normal 30-40 ms (rinse & repeat).

I have tried different FW from RMerlin now running the latest one now 378.50_0.

Anyone that can provide any idea how to solve this or what I should try/test is gladly welcome. :)

Just a thought, but have you turned off AI protection and QoS? If you are a gamer I would assume you probably have, but it would be worth checking.

Turbofreak:

Using sites like speedtest.net to get ping results is actually counterproductive. Those sites do not give you accurate ping results, and they actually hide packet loss issues. At the very least they lull you into a false sense of belief that you're getting accurate and useful ping info, and you're just not.

There are much better tools and tests you can use to determine whether the latency issues are WAN related or on the LAN side and related to specific wireless issues such as adjacent AP interference, channel width, channel selection, DFS/TPC issues, etc.

First, run Pathping from a DOS cmd prompt in Windows. Pathping takes a lot longer to run than a simple tracert, so it may look like it's not working, but just be patient. Eventually you'll see the results. And you'll see whether the latency is on the WAN side or on your router or wireless.

Alternatively try WinMTR. You can download the program at Sourceforge. Just google it.

Depending what these two tests show with connections to the particular game servers that you're experiencing high latency, you'll know whether the issue is on the WAN side, in which case you probably need to find an alternate server to play on, or it will suggest that it's on the LAN side, and then you can address the other issues.

But do not rely on speedtest.net, nor on the ping results you're getting from that site because they tell you nothing

Last edited:
I am not arguing this point with you. I am simply trying to help the OP figure out his problem and also show him some meaningful tips. BTW have you seen his pingtest results? He is fine. I agree, and i only game using a wire but i also get that for some people it is just a game and they could care less. So please stop because all your doing is using vague examples and exagerations.

At least with what I showed him he can actually see what the difference in latency is for himself.

Like I mentioned before, I have been gaming all these kind of games for at least 2-3 years with wifi and same computer so please dont tell me to go back to wired again since it did work flawless with Asus RT-AC66U. I have done some more tests and research and think I have found out the problem.

I´m using a USB-Wifi connected to my PC from Netgear WNDA4100 speed 450Mbps (2.4Ghz/5Ghz), did google on this one and found out different problems with this one and 5Ghz wifi.

My old one is from Netgear too WNDA3100v2 speed 300Mbps (2.4Ghz/5Ghz), have installed the software and running WoT/WoW couple of hours this night and you know what? IT IS WORKING FLAWLESS on 5Ghz...

So my USB-wifi client is the problem, not HW/FW and I dont need to go back to wired again.

I want to thank all for help full tips on what too test and looks for and now I only need to get a new wifi client so think of buying a Asus AC-55 so I can benefit the 5Ghz AC.

Like I mentioned before, I have been gaming all these kind of games for at least 2-3 years with wifi and same computer so please dont tell me to go back to wired again since it did work flawless with Asus RT-AC66U. I have done some more tests and research and think I have found out the problem.

I´m using a USB-Wifi connected to my PC from Netgear WNDA4100 speed 450Mbps (2.4Ghz/5Ghz), did google on this one and found out different problems with this one and 5Ghz wifi.

My old one is from Netgear too WNDA3100v2 speed 300Mbps (2.4Ghz/5Ghz), have installed the software and running WoT/WoW couple of hours this night and you know what? IT IS WORKING FLAWLESS on 5Ghz...

So my USB-wifi client is the problem, not HW/FW and I dont need to go back to wired again.

I want to thank all for help full tips on what too test and looks for and now I only need to get a new wifi client so think of buying a Asus AC-55 so I can benefit the 5Ghz AC.

Why the hostility towards me? I am the one who is trying to help you and has said before that you should be fine on wifi. I really hope you meant to qoute the other guy lol.

Last edited:
Turbofreak:

Using sites like speedtest.net to get ping results is actually counterproductive. Those sites do not give you accurate ping results, and they actually hide packet loss issues. At the very least they lull you into a false sense of belief that you're getting accurate and useful ping info, and you're just not.

There are much better tools and tests you can use to determine whether the latency issues are WAN related or on the LAN side and related to specific wireless issues such as adjacent AP interference, channel width, channel selection, DFS/TPC issues, etc.

First, run Pathping from a DOS cmd prompt in Windows. Pathping takes a lot longer to run than a simple tracert, so it may look like it's not working, but just be patient. Eventually you'll see the results. And you'll see whether the latency is on the WAN side or on your router or wireless.

Alternatively try WinMTR. You can download the program at Sourceforge. Just google it.

Depending what these two tests show with connections to the particular game servers that you're experiencing high latency, you'll know whether the issue is on the WAN side, in which case you probably need to find an alternate server to play on, or it will suggest that it's on the LAN side, and then you can address the other issues.

But do not rely on speedtest.net, nor on the ping results you're getting from that site because they tell you nothing

I agree they dont look into the LAN side but wont agree that they are counterproductive, I found it very use full so see how the Internet speed behaves and that also gives me a hint if it works or not WAN to LAN.

These 2 USB-wifi clients actually behaved different on these tests, we have a site in Sweden called bredbandskollen.se and it was a project in the beginning by Swedish Government so ppl could test their speed (got what they paid for) so they wouldnt be fooled by the ISP.

Thanks for the other tips how to check deeper into the LAN. :)

I use two WNDA-4100 Netgear adapters and have never had a issue with either of them using any Asus routers or any other rouer for that matter.

I agree they dont look into the LAN side but wont agree that they are counterproductive, I found it very use full so see how the Internet speed behaves and that also gives me a hint if it works or not WAN to LAN.

These 2 USB-wifi clients actually behaved different on these tests, we have a site in Sweden called bredbandskollen.se and it was a project in the beginning by Swedish Government so ppl could test their speed (got what they paid for) so they wouldnt be fooled by the ISP.

I was literally trying to tell you to do the same thing as the other guy lol. I am not about to be qouted and called out for something I didn't say. That is all

Turbo:

Actually tests like speedtest.net tell you NOTHING about latency or packet loss, on either WAN or LAN sides. Not even the single ping number you get from that sort of online speed test gives you any real information about where and how much packet loss is occurring.

You can be showing "full speed" and be able to stream just fine on things like Netflix (which is heavily buffered), or Youtube, or other online media, and not even know you're experiencing packet loss and latency with those sorts of test. But gaming is really much different. And that was my point, that things like speedtest.net or similar online tests just mask the real issue, giving you a false sense of security that you're getting what you're supposed to be getting from your ISP when gaming requires different kinds of WAN testing to discover whether you're actually experiencing packet loss that will affect your ability to play. Often, the issue isn't even with your ISP, but with the route to the gaming server or with the gaming server itself.

My suggestion to use Pathping and/or WinMTR was so you would be able to tell what is really going on on the WAN side of things, not in your LAN. Those tests do not test your LAN or wireless. Only WAN. As I said, the issue probably isn't with the first "hop" (which is from your router to your ISP, but likely somewhere down the line, in the last 50% of the hops the route will take. That's what I mean by WAN-side.

If you discover that the issue is WAN-side, then the only things you can do will be to find another target node (server) to use for the game you're playing. As you know, most games like WOW use multiple servers located all over the world, to accommodate the hundreds of thousands, perhaps even millions, of users that are participating at any given time. If the route to the primary server you're trying use is bad, just Google around a bit and find another server with a different URL for the game, one located somewhere that might not have the same latency or packet loss issues. Beyond that, there's not much else you can do with WAN-related latency, except perhaps to try another DNS server other than your ISP's that might take a different route to the target site.

If the WAN-side isn't the issue, then you'll want to look more closely at your LAN as the primary culprit, and then you have to try to ferret out what the issue is that is causing it, either settings in the router itself or with your wireless settlings (or adjacent signal interference, DFS, etc.). side.

Since you're in Sweden, you may have some peculiar issues with DFS, so you will obviously want to try channels that are going to be least impacted by DFS and TPC. Buying another client USB-AC adapter may or may not work; if it's a DFS issue, it will have zero impact.

Just wanted to clarify since your last response to mine seemed to suggest that you thought I was suggesting using Pathping or WinMTR to inspect packet loss LAN-side, and I wasn't. Those are WAN tools primarily.

Last edited:
Why the hostility towards me? I am the one who is trying to help you and has said before that you should be fine on wifi. I really hope you meant to qoute the other guy lol.

Sorry Rankdropper84, you are right was not you at all. Thanks for the help full tips you gave me. :)

Turbo:

Actually tests like speedtest.net tell you NOTHING about latency or packet loss, on either WAN or LAN sides. Not even the single ping number you get from that sort of online speed test gives you any real information about where and how much packet loss is occurring.

You can be showing "full speed" and be able to stream just fine on things like Netflix (which is heavily buffered), or Youtube, or other online media, and not even know you're experiencing packet loss and latency with those sorts of test. But gaming is really much different. And that was my point, that things like speedtest.net or similar online tests just mask the real issue, giving you a false sense of security that you're getting what you're supposed to be getting from your ISP when gaming requires different kinds of WAN testing to discover whether you're actually experiencing packet loss that will affect your ability to play. Often, the issue isn't even with your ISP, but with the route to the gaming server or with the gaming server itself.

My suggestion to use Pathping and/or WinMTR was so you would be able to tell what is really going on on the WAN side of things, not in your LAN. Those tests do not test your LAN or wireless. Only WAN. As I said, the issue probably isn't with the first "hop" (which is from your router to your ISP, but likely somewhere down the line, in the last 50% of the hops the route will take. That's what I mean by WAN-side.

If you discover that the issue is WAN-side, then the only things you can do will be to find another target node (server) to use for the game you're playing. As you know, most games like WOW use multiple servers located all over the world, to accommodate the hundreds of thousands, perhaps even millions, of users that are participating at any given time. If the route to the primary server you're trying use is bad, just Google around a bit and find another server with a different URL for the game, one located somewhere that might not have the same latency or packet loss issues. Beyond that, there's not much else you can do with WAN-related latency, except perhaps to try another DNS server other than your ISP's that might take a different route to the target site.

If the WAN-side isn't the issue, then you'll want to look more closely at your LAN as the primary culprit, and then you have to try to ferret out what the issue is that is causing it, either settings in the router itself or with your wireless settlings (or adjacent signal interference, DFS, etc.). side.

Since you're in Sweden, you may have some peculiar issues with DFS, so you will obviously want to try channels that are going to be least impacted by DFS and TPC. Buying another client USB-AC adapter may or may not work; if it's a DFS issue, it will have zero impact.

Just wanted to clarify since your last response to mine seemed to suggest that you thought I was suggesting using Pathping or WinMTR to inspect packet loss LAN-side, and I wasn't. Those are WAN tools primarily.

For some reason I have problem with the wifi client (WNDA4100) and not only mine but 1 more in same house and 2 other client (WNDA3100v2) that is working perfectly on both 2.4Ghz/5Ghz. The 5Ghz is using channel 36-44 and if I have understood right that is the lower channels. So in this case it is not the WAN that is making the trouble or the LAN. I will now try to find and good wifi client so I can make us of the blazing speed in ac protocol. Cheers :)

You should use the higher 5G channels they have much higher output power then the low channels.

You should use the higher 5G channels they have much higher output power then the low channels.

It's actually a bit more complicated, but I would generally agree with what Kel-L says: Use the highest frequencies you can generally. But there are tradeoffs and some restrictions depending on where you happen to be.

In the EU (which I'm presuming the OP is located, since he's in Sweden), the router he's using is probably restricted to only channels 36-48 on the 5ghz band due to most SOHO manufacturers (e.g., Asus on older versions of their routers) not implementing DFS and TPC. So the use of higher channels may depend on whether OP's router can or can't legally access those mid or upper band frequencies on 5ghz.

But here in the U.S. we've got a sort of odd situation: We can use the lower band (36-48) and the upper band (149-161) but manufacturers will block the mid-band frequencies (52-64 and 100-140), a total of 15 channels because of the potential interference with military, civil aviation and meteorological devices, specifically the various forms of radar in use on those channels.

It is true that the high channels actually use much more power than the lower channels. So yes, it is true that using the high channels can improve signal strength substantially.

But the downside is that those high frequencies are inherently much more susceptible to interference (due to the high frequencies themselves), they travel much less distance and penetrate other surfaces far less than do the lower frequencies, and so they require the use of higher transmit power just to stay "even" with the lower frequency throughput and signal strength.

So transmitting at higher frequencies requires more power, and as frequency increases, transmit power must also increase or throughput suffers, but as power increases so does noise and attenuation of the signal. So using higher channels may not necessarily be a panacea in your particular environment.

There are many here who claim that switching to a higher channel vastly improves their signal strength and throughput, and others who claim they see no difference at all. Everyone can't be both right and wrong at the same time, so the take away is that you just have to see what works better in your particular environment.

For some reason I have problem with the wifi client (WNDA4100) and not only mine but 1 more in same house and 2 other client (WNDA3100v2) that is working perfectly on both 2.4Ghz/5Ghz. The 5Ghz is using channel 36-44 and if I have understood right that is the lower channels. So in this case it is not the WAN that is making the trouble or the LAN. I will now try to find and good wifi client so I can make us of the blazing speed in ac protocol. Cheers :)

Well, I will say it again: You can't be certain that it's not also on the WAN side, just because your wireless clients also have issues. Could be both and it makes sense to do some testing. But whatever.

Since you're in Sweden (and thus in the EU) and using an Asus 87U, I do not recall whether you indicated this or not (and I'm not going to go back into the thread to find out), but do you have access to the higher frequency channels in the 5ghz band? I know that some of the newer Asus firmware has been rumored to have now opened up some of those upper bands in the EU, but since I'm here in the U.S., I really don't know if that's the case. If you can access them, and your wireless client devices are within say no more than 10-15 feet of the router, you might see how latency and lag are using some of those higher channels.

Can you also provide the "Professional" tab settings for us on your 5ghz settings in the router? Perhaps you've got something set up oddly that is causing an issue with the 5ghz channels. Let us know and maybe someone can help with those settings.

As for the wireless clients you currently are using, the Netgear WNDA4100, and 2 Netgear WNDA3100v2's, I agree that for gaming, you want to upgrade to using an 802.11ac solution instead. I've had the best luck with the Asus USB-AC53 adapter, which comes with a long-ish USB extension cord so you can literally maneuver and position the adapter into an infinite number of positions (instead of being stuck with a USB adapter that is positioned horizontally only sticking out of the side of a laptop). Thus you can work it until you find the best antenna position which is great. I've also tried the USB-AC56 which comes with a long antenna, the same ones you find on Asus wireless routers, and it works very well also, but is a bit kludgy, and better designed to work with a desktop or a laptop that is used on a desk most of the time.

Anyway, good luck to you. Hope you figure this out.

Well, I will say it again: You can't be certain that it's not also on the WAN side, just because your wireless clients also have issues. Could be both and it makes sense to do some testing. But whatever.

Since you're in Sweden (and thus in the EU) and using an Asus 87U, I do not recall whether you indicated this or not (and I'm not going to go back into the thread to find out), but do you have access to the higher frequency channels in the 5ghz band? I know that some of the newer Asus firmware has been rumored to have now opened up some of those upper bands in the EU, but since I'm here in the U.S., I really don't know if that's the case. If you can access them, and your wireless client devices are within say no more than 10-15 feet of the router, you might see how latency and lag are using some of those higher channels.

Can you also provide the "Professional" tab settings for us on your 5ghz settings in the router? Perhaps you've got something set up oddly that is causing an issue with the 5ghz channels. Let us know and maybe someone can help with those settings.

As for the wireless clients you currently are using, the Netgear WNDA4100, and 2 Netgear WNDA3100v2's, I agree that for gaming, you want to upgrade to using an 802.11ac solution instead. I've had the best luck with the Asus USB-AC53 adapter, which comes with a long-ish USB extension cord so you can literally maneuver and position the adapter into an infinite number of positions (instead of being stuck with a USB adapter that is positioned horizontally only sticking out of the side of a laptop). Thus you can work it until you find the best antenna position which is great. I've also tried the USB-AC56 which comes with a long antenna, the same ones you find on Asus wireless routers, and it works very well also, but is a bit kludgy, and better designed to work with a desktop or a laptop that is used on a desk most of the time.

Anyway, good luck to you. Hope you figure this out.

I have a lot of channels to choose actually, see the pic I posted. I have a long-ish USB cabel and did try to move around the WNDA4100 but without any luck and the really strange thing is that the older one WNDA3100v2 is on the same spot now and works flawless.

I have looked into the Asus AC-53 (many stores stopped selling that one) instead we have AC-55/AC-56. Hopefully in near future I will buy one of thoose and try out.

Thanks again for the help and tips from you and all the others. I work in IT with transactions but when it comes to wifi I fell like a newbie. :)

Attachments

• channels_ac87u.JPG
    channels_ac87u.JPG
    38.6 KB · Views: 604
Turbofreak:

I've almost got (scary) identical setup as TurboFreak68 (only thing i dont use anymore(!) is the wnda dongle), also with lag spikes. I ran the tests but not on the game servers but onto www.google.se .

This was WinMTR results;

|------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
| WinMTR statistics |
| Host - % | Sent | Recv | Best | Avrg | Wrst | Last |
|------------------------------------------------|------|------|------|------|------|------|
| router.asus.com - 4 | 56 | 54 | 2 | 189 | 1021 | 495 |
| gw-n1-g-ml-a11.ias.bredband.telia.com - 4 | 56 | 54 | 3 | 192 | 1014 | 495 |
| kbn-b4-link.telia.net - 4 | 56 | 54 | 8 | 123 | 947 | 38 |
| kbn-bb3-link.telia.net - 4 | 56 | 54 | 8 | 174 | 1051 | 487 |
| s-bb3-link.telia.net - 2 | 62 | 61 | 16 | 187 | 1012 | 731 |
| s-b5-link.telia.net - 4 | 60 | 58 | 17 | 173 | 1037 | 505 |
| google-ic-306509-s-b5.c.telia.net - 2 | 60 | 59 | 17 | 199 | 1094 | 946 |
| 216.239.43.122 - 4 | 60 | 58 | 17 | 202 | 1045 | 505 |
| 216.239.49.217 - 4 | 56 | 54 | 18 | 215 | 1072 | 944 |
| arn09s05-in-f3.1e100.net - 4 | 60 | 58 | 17 | 209 | 1046 | 505 |
|________________________________________________|______|______|______|______|______|______|
WinMTR v0.92 GPL V2 by Appnor MSP - Fully Managed Hosting & Cloud Provider

And this with Pathping;

Tracing route to www.google.se [216.58.209.99]
over a maximum of 30 hops:
0 AndreasPC [192.168.1.128]
1 router.asus.com [192.168.1.1]
2 gw-n1-g-ml-a11.ias.bredband.telia.com [217.209.240.1]
3 * kbn-b4-link.telia.net [62.115.142.244]
4 kbn-bb3-link.telia.net [62.115.142.212]
5 * s-bb3-link.telia.net [62.115.139.168]
6 s-b5-link.telia.net [62.115.137.159]
7 google-ic-306509-s-b5.c.telia.net [62.115.45.14]
8 * 209.85.250.192
9 209.85.240.123
10 arn06s07-in-f3.1e100.net [216.58.209.99]

Computing statistics for 250 seconds...
Source to Here This Node/Link
Hop RTT Lost/Sent = Pct Lost/Sent = Pct Address
0 AndreasPC [192.168.1.128]
2/ 100 = 2% |
1 150ms 4/ 100 = 4% 2/ 100 = 2% router.asus.com [192.168.1.1]
0/ 100 = 0% |
2 160ms 4/ 100 = 4% 2/ 100 = 2% gw-n1-g-ml-a11.ias.bredband.telia.
com [217.209.240.1]
0/ 100 = 0% |
3 133ms 5/ 100 = 5% 3/ 100 = 3% kbn-b4-link.telia.net [62.115.142.
244]
0/ 100 = 0% |
4 201ms 2/ 100 = 2% 0/ 100 = 0% kbn-bb3-link.telia.net [62.115.142
.212]
0/ 100 = 0% |
5 177ms 2/ 100 = 2% 0/ 100 = 0% s-bb3-link.telia.net [62.115.139.1
68]
2/ 100 = 2% |
6 174ms 5/ 100 = 5% 1/ 100 = 1% s-b5-link.telia.net [62.115.137.15
9]
0/ 100 = 0% |
7 165ms 7/ 100 = 7% 3/ 100 = 3% google-ic-306509-s-b5.c.telia.net
[62.115.45.14]
0/ 100 = 0% |
8 219ms 4/ 100 = 4% 0/ 100 = 0% 209.85.250.192
0/ 100 = 0% |
9 --- 100/ 100 =100% 96/ 100 = 96% 209.85.240.123
0/ 100 = 0% |
10 192ms 4/ 100 = 4% 0/ 100 = 0% arn06s07-in-f3.1e100.net [216.58.2
09.99]

Now speedtest.net might not be so revealing but pingtest.net is usually quite ok. It needs java tho.

Ive tried to fiddle around with the settings, Ai Qos and such but it doesnt help. Ill try to investigate more but any input is welcome.