What's new

Laptop dropping out

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

dlandiss

Very Senior Member
RT-AX86U, Merlin 388.4, ASUS UM-425Q laptop with Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 adapter.

The laptop has been randomly dropping off-line recently, either completely disconnecting or still showing connected but no Internet. Both 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

I disabled Wi-Fi 6 in the router and in the laptop network settings in case there was some incompatibility. Deleted all of the memorized Wi-Fi connections from the laptop. Restarted the router and the laptop. Mobile phone continues to work great.

Can you think of any other settings that might be related? Thanks!

Attachments

• 5GHzSettings.jpg
    5GHzSettings.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 27
RT-AX86U, Merlin 388.4, ASUS UM-425Q laptop with Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 8265 adapter.

The laptop has been randomly dropping off-line recently, either completely disconnecting or still showing connected but no Internet. Both 2.4GHz and 5GHz.

I disabled Wi-Fi 6 in the router and in the laptop network settings in case there was some incompatibility. Deleted all of the memorized Wi-Fi connections from the laptop. Restarted the router and the laptop. Mobile phone continues to work great.

Can you think of any other settings that might be related? Thanks!

Was it working and now is not working? Perhaps worn Intel adapter hardware... or the driver is out of sorts (Windows? is always updating something important). If you get to it, I would remove and re-install the Intel adapter, using their latest driver.

OE

I would disable Roaming assistant and enable IGMP Snooping.
I will try that, but I doubt that roaming is an issue since the laptop is about 8 feet from the router.

Thanks!

Was it working and now is not working? Perhaps worn Intel adapter hardware... or the driver is out of sorts (Windows? is always updating something important). If you get to it, I would remove and re-install the Intel adapter, using their latest driver.
Yes, was working and then got flaky. I'll see if I can undo-redo the driver, and search for an update.

Thanks!

If you get to it, I would remove and re-install the Intel adapter, using their latest driver.
I have now tried both the latest driver offered by Microsoft, the latest driver offered by Intel, and the latest driver offered by ASUS. Also implemented the changes suggested by Colin Taylor. Thanks, guys.

I am considering blowing $19 at Amazon and getting a new one. And then finding my itty-bitty 6-point screwdrivers.