What's new

Latest Merlin build fails to load on Asus rt-n56u

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

wabe

New Around Here
Just bought a n56u for use as a secondary router. Tried to flash the most recent Merlin build but it failed. Tried downloading a second copy but that failed too. Error message is about corrupted file or transmission error. Managed to flash Padawans build wo errors.

Just bought a n56u for use as a secondary router. Tried to flash the most recent Merlin build but it failed. Tried downloading a second copy but that failed too. Error message is about corrupted file or transmission error. Managed to flash Padawans build wo errors.
If you look at Merlin's web site, you will not find the rt-n56u among his supported routers. The newer rt-ac56u is more widely supported.

I purchased an rt-n56u myself as a secondary and I use it with Aterlo's Nightshift software on a USB drive. They do not suppport any firmware other than the factory offering. My searches did not reveal any firmware other than Padavan's that would run on this router. It has a Ralink cpu that is not supported by Merlin, TomatoUSB or other open source firmware. Good thing we have Padavan!

The n56u is still a fine router with more speed/capability than most of us require but if you can't live with it or take it back, there seems to be an active and competitive market for them on eBay where I got mine. I went for the n56u regardless of the firmware limitations because I wanted my n66u up front where I could use Shibby-Tomato and the limitations of the factory firmware aren't a problem for me on the secondary.

The RT-N56U is a great router, when used simply in wired mode.

Almost anything else is above it in wireless performance, especially in the 5GHz band.

When you consider that the much better (and highly underrated) RT-AC56U sells for equal or less than the RT-N56U, the 'n' should not be in consideration any more except for its still very high WAN / LAN throughput results (in other words, in wired use).

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!