What's new

WebUI not working - AX86U (latest Merlin firmware)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

evo17paul

Occasional Visitor
Hi all,

My USB stick seemingly failed yesterday, as I was trying to run BackupMON and it just seemingly wasn't doing anything (yes I left for a long time).

I decided to reboot the router (with and without the usb), just in case it was another issue and I have since never been able to get back into the WebUI. Let me be clear, initially I can log-in but the web interface does not contain the menu on the left, or interface information on the right and then none of the links are not clickable for the centre part of the WebUI. Eventually I get a time out message, and then cannot no longer get to the page. I have tried other browser which I have never used before, and on MS Edge I receive ERR_NETWORK_CHANGED message oddly.

Although the WebUI has failed, clients can still utilise the internet without issue.

Error -62 appears in the logs related to the USB stick - cannot select address or something.
Also seeing periodically rstats[1630]: Problem loading /mnt/RagePro-USB/Traffic-History. Still trying...

I have searched the forums, and tried to reset the HTTP nvram settings back to default, but still no joy. I decided to try another USB stick and even purchased a brand new one, but none appear to mount regardless of the port I use.

I have a backup via BackupMon on another server, that I can utilise but cannot mount the new usb stick and subsequently format - fdisk -l does nothing, apart from a flashing cursor.

Am I looking at a reset, then a restore or does anyone have any other clues please?

ps
Running numerous addons - SkyNet, NTPMerlin, BackupMon, spdMerlin, uiScribe, dn-vnstat

Thanks in advance

See if you can SSH into the router... plug in your old USB drive, run AMTM, and go through the process of the "dc" (Disk Check) function... get that installed, and reboot your router. After it comes up, this script will check the health/repair of your USB drive, and after everything comes back up, using "dcl" will show you a log of what all happened. It does sound to me like either your USB drive is going south, or your router needs a fresh start.

If you want to attempt using that new USB drive, again, run AMTM, and go through the process of the "fd" (Format Disk) function... make sure you enable the "dc" (Disk Check) as well, and create a swap file while you're at it.

If you really want to do this right... perhaps next time, invest a little bit of money into a formal SSD drive + USB enclosure... (it's not very expensive) -- they're much better suited to handle the traffic load that is being demanded on these external USB devices.

See if you can SSH into the router... plug in your old USB drive, run AMTM, and go through the process of the "dc" (Disk Check) function... get that installed, and reboot your router. After it comes up, this script will check the health/repair of your USB drive, and after everything comes back up, using "dcl" will show you a log of what all happened. It does sound to me like either your USB drive is going south, or your router needs a fresh start.

If you want to attempt using that new USB drive, again, run AMTM, and go through the process of the "fd" (Format Disk) function... make sure you enable the "dc" (Disk Check) as well, and create a swap file while you're at it.

If you really want to do this right... perhaps next time, invest a little bit of money into a formal SSD drive + USB enclosure... (it's not very expensive) -- they're much better suited to handle the traffic load that is being demanded on these external USB devices.
Thanks @Viktor Jaep
I can SSH still
Plugging in the old USB and running Disk Check gives me a Remove or Add an exclusion, but it's not fundamentally detecting any device (old or new) but will try with a reboot again.

New device is SSD based with enclosure as you have mentioned.

Will try after I've finished streaming football and feedback again

Thanks again

Thanks @Viktor Jaep
I can SSH still
Plugging in the old USB and running Disk Check gives me a Remove or Add an exclusion, but it's not fundamentally detecting any device (old or new) but will try with a reboot again.
In that case, hit "dcl" to look at the log?

New device is SSD based with enclosure as you have mentioned.
Perfect! :)

Looks like last check was March 1st

Fri Mar 1 08:24:58 GMT 2024 Probing 'ext4' on device /dev/sda1
Running disk check with command 'e2fsck -p' on /dev/sda1
RagePro-USB: recovering journal
RagePro-USB: clean, 2482/15269888 files, 1797725/61049000 blocks
Fri Mar 1 08:24:58 GMT 2024 Disk check done on /dev/sda1

That would be correct, as I moved to a new ISP and had to do some cabling changes (including power) on the 1st

I have however, since looked deeper
I could see in /tmp/syslog.log, the old USB stick was seen as attached, but again the -62 error was in the logs later
Any commands like fdisk -l or even kill and reboot were not working
Decided to power-off by the switch, and removed the old USB stick and placed the new USB SSD in
Powered back on, and I can see dcl log reports finding the new key
Proceeded to format, and create the swap file
Then I could restore a backup from the 2nd March and now everything is back working, including the WebUI fully working and interactive

It does pose the question, why did the WebUI interface allow a login, but then not display correctly and just seemingly freeze. I am assuming a process or something in the background was looping (although top didn't show over CPU use).

But nevertheless... thanks BackupMon, thanks @Viktor I am up and running again without the nuclear option. Will now take another backup, just in case

It does pose the question, why did the WebUI interface allow a login, but then not display correctly and just seemingly freeze. I am assuming a process or something in the background was looping (although top didn't show over CPU use).
Well, if your old USB drive was going bad, it was probably having trouble pulling the required files and/or entware command utilities from the drive, causing cascading failures and timeouts to render the webUI page...

But nevertheless... thanks BackupMon, thanks @Viktor I am up and running again without the nuclear option. Will now take another backup, just in case
Absolutely! Glad to hear you're back to square one! :)