What's new

Limit Bandwidth Guest Network

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Does anyone know of a way to limit the amount of bandwidth that the guest network can consume?

Thanks
From the Web UI of the Asus Router there is no option to limit the guest network bandwidth, but it is a feature that would sure be useful.

You can either do it with a script (search the forum) or with the help of a WiFi Repeater/Extender. Just set it to extend the guest network and in the options of your Asus Router go to GeneralAdaptive QoSQoSEnable QoS and set it to Bandwidth LimiterAdd repeater/extender to Client ListSet download/upload BandwidthHit Apply.

plqK5Yb.png

Does anyone know of a way to limit the amount of bandwidth that the guest network can consume?

Thanks
If you decide to go the additional hardware approach vs a script consider just taking an old WiFi router and repurpose it as an AP and set the radio to connect as a B only radio. Let your guests only connect to this router's SSID. This will limit the guest clients connecting on the guest AP to no more than 5 - 7 Mbps on a link rate of 11 Mbps.

Hi,
an unrelated question to the thread :

is the "qos type" options i see in the screenshot only present in newer asus routers ?
I have an RT-AC66U, and i dont have such options, can i enable them somehow ?

Thank you !

From the Web UI of the Asus Router there is no option to limit the guest network bandwidth, but it is a feature that would sure be useful.
Not sure if ASUS enabled it yet, but try putting the interface name for the guest network in the target field (wl0.1 for the first 2.4GHz guest, wl1.1 for the first 5GHz guest, etc.)

EDIT: I have it enabled on my fork, and it appears to work well.

Last edited:
Bandwidth Limiter support for guest networks seem to already be implemented by Asus, they might not have it integrated into the webui yet however.

Not sure if ASUS enabled it yet, but try putting the interface name for the guest network in the target field (wl0.1 for the first 2.4GHz guest, wl1.1 for the first 5GHz guest, etc.)

EDIT: I have it enabled on my fork, and it appears to work well.
If I add wl0.1 from the UI it disappears.

On my AC87U there is also a bug when I add 4 clients to the Bandwidth Limiter and click Apply, they all disappear from the list.

If I add wl0.1 from the UI it disappears.
Looks like Merlin called it then.....not yet implemented in the gui. They may also be continuing work on trying to make it compatible with CTF on.

Here's an example from my fork for the guest network part, set for 20Mbps, 2 Mbps. Variable name is qos_bw_rulelist

<1>wl0.1>20480>2048>1

the last '1' is used to set the priority for the tc rules, so bump it +1 to the last number in your existing qos_bw_rulelist (or set to '0' if this is your only rule)

EDIT: And don't forget to do a
service restart_qos
afterward making the edit

Last edited:
Hi,
an unrelated question to the thread :

is the "qos type" options i see in the screenshot only present in newer asus routers ?
I have an RT-AC66U, and i dont have such options, can i enable them somehow ?

Thank you !

Adaptive QoS is only available on newer modems with an ARM CPU.

I manually assigned (forced) IP- addresses to all devices in the house based on their MAC (between 192.168.1.2 - 192.168.1.129).
DHCP IP pool starting address set as 192.168.1.130, IP pool ending address 192.168.1.254

Using QoS Bandwidth limiter, I limit the bandwidth of DHCP IP range 192.168.1.130/25
When all clients on the guest network get their IP automatically from the DHCP, they will have their bandwidth limited by the rule.

Additional benefit: If home devices with manually assigned IP's connect to the guest network, they will surpass the rule as they fall outside the 192.168.1.130/25 range and can use default bandwidth.

Dear.
I riesume this topic about QoS and limitation of guests WiFi.
I have an Asus RT-AC68U, firmware:380.65 Merlin and I am in the same situation: Wi-Fi 2.4GHz, Wi-Fi 5GHz for domestic use + 2 guests Wi-Fi, both on 2.4GHz.

First, wl0.1, is the the one to limit.

I wrote this script wan-start:

Code:
#!/bin/sh
tc qdisc add dev wl0.1 handle 1: root htb default 11
tc class add dev wl0.1 parent 1: classid 1:1 htb rate 250kbps
tc class add dev wl0.1 parent 1:1 classid 1:11 htb rate 15kbps
touch /tmp/000wanstarted

and I found the file 000wanstarted after the reboot, but the limitation doesn't apply.

The QoS is on, Adaptative and full automatic.

Thanks.

Any help?

Any help?
EDIT: Cannot be used to bandwidth limit a guest network interface

Here's a script I had laying around. You run it once to setup the QoS Bandwidth Limiter. It might work. Which service needs restart? I didn't know which one so I did them all.

/jffs/scripts/qos-configure.sh
Code:
#!/bin/sh
/usr/sbin/nvram set qos_enable=1
/usr/sbin/nvram set qos_type=2
/usr/sbin/nvram set qos_bw_rulelist="1>AA:BB:CC:DD:EE:FF>250>15>0"
/usr/sbin/nvram commit
/sbin/service restart_qos
/sbin/service restart_firewall
/sbin/service restart_vpnserver1

Last edited:
Thanks.
I was using qos_type=1 (Adaptative) and doesn't work, I tryed also your script (qos_type=2), but still doesn't work.

If I put command simply via ssh, I get no error, if I made nvram get with that parameter, they are ok so in the nvram are stored the wanted parameter, but doesn't work.

... it doesn't work.
I correct the script above with MAC address.

Now, the bandwidth limiter works differently for guest network interfaces. Run the script. You will see a difference.

/jffs/scripts/qos-guest.sh
Code:
#!/bin/sh
/usr/sbin/nvram set wl0.1_bw_enabled=1
/usr/sbin/nvram set wl0.1_bw_dl=250
/usr/sbin/nvram set wl0.1_bw_ul=15
/usr/sbin/nvram commit
/sbin/reboot # to disable CTF?

Last edited:
Thanks, but... why the final reboot? Doesn't it makes a loop reboot?

Edit: the script has to be run once, not inserted in the startup scripts, the nvram commit will store parameters in the nvram. Thanks.
Edit2: the numbers are kbits, so I modified them in 800 as dl limit and 100 as ul limit.
Code:
#!/bin/sh
/usr/sbin/nvram set wl0.1_bw_enabled=1
/usr/sbin/nvram set wl0.1_bw_dl=800
/usr/sbin/nvram set wl0.1_bw_ul=100
/usr/sbin/nvram commit
/sbin/reboot # to disable CTF?

Last edited:
I post again, there is a method to have bandwidth limit and Adaptatitve QoS?
Priority level from 1 (minimal) to 6 (max)
I would like limit wl0.1 and give to it level 3, then level 2 to 4 without specific limits for wl0.2 and have QoS (auto level from 1 to 6) for other services on wl0, wl1.
1 p2p
2 download from Sky or similar, ftp
3 - 4 ftp, streaming, normal web surfing, intelligent adaptative.
5 pop and imap service
6 video call
Is possible with Asus Qos by Merlin?