What's new

Linksys 11n Lineup 2010 (Pre-CES)

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

jdabbs

Super Moderator
Linksys had several new products receive Wi-Fi certification earlier this week:

E1000 Wireless-N Broadband Router (single band, two-stream)
E2000 Dual-Band Wireless-N Gigabit Router (single radio, two-stream)
E2100L Wireless-N Broadband Router with Storage Link (single band, no gigabit?)
E3000 Simultaneous Dual-Band Wireless-N Gigabit Router (dual-radio, two stream)
M10 Wireless-N Broadband Router (single band, two-stream) Not sure what this one is, maybe a travel router or cheap 11g replacement.

Comments/Speculation:
Apparently Linksys has discarded the WRT naming convention for 11n. A clear and concise scheme can only help consumers, though it looks like they're already mucking it up by positioning the single band E2100L as a 2XXX product. Oh well.
The transition appears to be:
WRT1XXN-->E1000
WRT160NL-->E2100L
WRT320N-->E2000
WRT400N-->E3000? (gains gigabit)
WRT610N-->?

I never liked how Linksys differentiated their mid-range high-end products; you could either get gigabit but single radio dual-band with the 320N, or concurrent dual-band but 10/100 with the 400N. I guess this was done to stop either one from cannibalizing the 610N's sales, but it really encouraged people to buy a DIR-825 instead. Since the E3000 has gigabit and dual radios, this means either 1) the E3000 is the new high-end product, or 2) the high-end hasn't been revealed. I think it's the latter option; maybe they'll use Storage Link-functionality as the differentiator (they deemed it highly enough to release a model featuring it, and paired it with low mid-range hardware to not be a threat). There's also three-stream operation, but Linksys may wait until Broadcom can provide a solution before they implement it.

The corresponding FCC docs have a short-term confidentiality request in place until March 10, so I imagine not before then. If the WRT400N's release was any indication, retailers will leak the actual street date when they add new SKUs.

Hm, I have 610N and tomorrow is the last day to return it for full refund to BestBuy, do you think those new ones are worth using my old 54G for a few month?:rolleyes: I mean I'm not very happy with 610 v2, and was hoping for v3, but it looks like it's not gonna happen now :(

At this point, all I know is the information in this thread, plus the existence of the M20. If you can return the 610 without penalty, I'd do it. Not because the next-gen will be better (may have performance tradeoffs or stability issues), but because that puts you in a better position when they are eventually released.

The short-term confidentiality request has elapsed. Anyone waiting to upgrade is bound to be disappointed--most of these models are rebadges of current generation equipment.

E1000-->WRT160N v3
E2000-->WRT320N
E2100L-->WRT160NL
E3000-->WRT610N v2
M10-->WRT160N v3
M20-->BCM4716 based

The best I can tell is that the E-Series is no longer the 11n Draft. At least that's what it looks like for the E2100L here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linksys_routers compared to the WRT160NL. Short of that, I do not see a bit of difference.

So when thinking about the E2100L I was reading reviews on the WRT160NL, since they are identical, and am a bit disappointed that the E2100L was not improved. It would be nice to actually read a technical review of the E2100L however.