What's new

Linksys EA9500 vs EA9200 vs Netgear R7800 vs R7000

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

yugi

Occasional Visitor
Hi,

I'm in a process of replacing my Asus RT-N66U, which I was using for around 4 years with Merlin's firmware. But it started to die. So far I tried R7000 and TP-link C3200. TP-link was not good, one of the 5GHz band was almost not usable, and the other band experienced weak signal, disconnects and packet loss.
R7000 working fine so far, with no disconnects and stable strong signal. But file transfer on TP-link was a bit faster. I have 8 wireless devices, and 4 wired.
wireless are: 2 phones, 3 laptops, Roku, and 1 desktop. I don't have any MU-MIMO devices, or any fancy devices which are capable of more than 150 Mbps.
I bought R7000 for $100 brand new. But I can also buy R7800, EA8500 for $125, EA9200 for $130, and EA9500 for $200.
I've read that those have better signal and faster speeds.
Is it worth buying those over R7000? What would be the best choice?

Last edited:
l and faster speeds.

your speed is dependent on what wireless adapters you have and what speed they are

R7800, EA8500 for $125, EA9200 for $130, and EA9500 for $200.

as all of these are 1733M on 5 gig and above and unless you have adapters that are also those speeds its no going to make it any faster for the client devices

yes prehaps the ea9500 and other 2156M router may give you extra coverage but thats also useless if your client devices arnt strong enough to talk back

What would be the best choice?

if your chasing wifi coverage then run multiple wireless access points connect back to a router via ethernet

So you say that it may be a waste of money, and just keep R7000, because it's working fine, and the coverage is fine? So far the coverage was pretty good, and no disconnects, and minimal packet loss.

depends on much you are desperate to get a little bit more coverage for a whole lot more money and prob no real gain for your current adapters , the r7000 is a pretty decent unit wifi wise

if ya want to spend money get an ethernet run installed and butt a second wireless access point

pete

depends on much you are desperate to get a little bit more coverage for a whole lot more money and prob no real gain for your current adapters , the r7000 is a pretty decent unit wifi wise

if ya want to spend money get an ethernet run installed and butt a second wireless access point

pete
No, I just want one router. My house is pretty small. Not sure if for additional $25 R7800 or for additional $100 EA9500 might be a better choice?

It does not matter which router you buy, as long as your clients have the same card in the laptop tablet/usb wifi card etc.
Then it's better to spend the money on better client cards like USB cards, M2 to laptop etc.
And if you cant find a wifi card to your clients spend the money on a good AP.
But that's my opinion like allways.

I played the new router game and went through a few......Ethernet to an access point is ALWAYS the answer.....

look at the your client side wath wifi card & speed do you have in your laptop/desktop/tablet, 1x1, 2x2, 3x3?
If you have lets say in your laptop a 1x1 wifi card, then it would not help with a R7800 compare to a R7000 on the speed side.
So your R7000 router need to match the TOP speed with WIFI adapters like the Asus PCE-AC68 , Asus USB-AC68, D-Link DWA-192.
Or 2 R7000 routers one in Router mode and one in media Brigde mode.

I also tested Asus RT-AC1900P from Bestbuy, but it was performing worse than R7000, so I kept R7000, the best performance so far, and the cheapest.

your speed is dependent on what wireless adapters you have and what speed they are

as all of these are 1733M on 5 gig and above and unless you have adapters that are also those speeds its no going to make it any faster for the client devices

yes prehaps the ea9500 and other 2156M router may give you extra coverage but thats also useless if your client devices arnt strong enough to talk back

if your chasing wifi coverage then run multiple wireless access points connect back to a router via ethernet
I ended up having RT-AC1900P as a main router, and pulled an ethernet cable to R7000, which serves as an AP now. The setup is pretty good and stable across the house. I also tested Extollo 1500 powerline adapters, but those were too slow (50-75 Mbps) compared to the ethernet (900-930 Mbps). Was also thinking about getting Actiontec ECB6200 MoCA adapters, but they were around $120 more expensive than pulling 40' ethernet cable, so I went with a cable.

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!