What's new

Advice needed on new router!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

indiehouse

Occasional Visitor
Hi all, I have been driving myself mad trying to choose the best router for my needs. I'm looking to replace a Linksys WRT1900ACS that, I think, has been giving me dropouts. I've already replaced my modem with an Arris SB8200 (capable up to 1Gbps). I have a family of four, two kids 6 and 11. We pay for 100Mbs. Our home is two-stories and a basement, around 2400 sq/ft, and I'd like to cover both levels and the basement, preferably with a single router. Our speed seems to be doing us fine for now. We don't game and we stream our TV needs. I work from home with occasional video calls. There are 10-15 devices in the house, more when we host family. And a Ring doorbell. We don't have any wired connection needs for now. Everything is wifi.

I could see us needing faster speeds as the kids get older. Our ISP doesn't offer anything above 1Gbps right now.

The routers I am choosing between:

TP-Link AX3000 (Archer AX55) - $100
Asus RT-AX86S (renewed from Amazon) - $130
TP-Link AXE5400 (Archer AXE75) - $150
Asus RT-X86U Pro - $220
Synology WRX560 - $220

I know the RT-X86U Pro is capable of faster speeds than my modem can pump out. Wirecutter named the TP-Link AX55 the 2024 best router for most homes. I don't want to pay for features I don't need. I would like to be a bit future proofed in terms of speed, but don't know when I'd upgrade. Having adequate coverage in our home is important. I'm thinking the RT-86S might be fine? Unless there's a reason I need to think about the 86U or Synology?

1. Do I need to be concerned with a 2.5Gpbs port?
2. What is the RAM and CPU used for in a router? Do I need to pay for a router with better specs?

Any advice would be appreciated.

None of the routers you indicate above are worth considering today.

How can anything be named 'best' for 2024 when we're only 32 days in...

1. Do you have any wired LAN devices with 2.5GbE capabilities (or may have in the foreseeable future)?

2. Like anything, it is used to perform the functions the product states it will do.

See the link I've already answered this question on. There is nothing 'better specced' that is worth buying today.

None of the routers you indicate above are worth considering today.

How can anything be named 'best' for 2024 when we're only 32 days in...

1. Do you have any wired LAN devices with 2.5GbE capabilities (or may have in the foreseeable future)?

2. Like anything, it is used to perform the functions the product states it will do.

See the link I've already answered this question on. There is nothing 'better specced' that is worth buying today.
Thanks for the reply! I do not have any wired devices. I may wire in my television, but seems to be fine enough on wifi right now. Our current plan is 100Mbps, which seems to be ok. I could see going up to 200 or 500 when the kids get older, but our ISP doesn't offer anything over 1Gbps. I honestly don't know how I would ever need that much.

Note that wiring in the TV will probably give you less top speed, but lower latency (most TVs have 100MbE ports).

With a 100Mbps ISP, you may never need more. But usually, higher speed plans offer less latency (for each concurrent user).

If your ISP already offers 1Gbps speeds, buying a router (like the previously suggested RT-AX68U) is not a worthwhile buy for the long term.

My suggestions still stand. Yes, they may be more than what you're currently looking at, but they are also more likely to be usable in a few years too.

The benefits of RMerlin firmware (and select Asus routers) cannot be overstated. This forum is proof enough of that.

PS, I never thought that I would ever need more than DSL (vs. the previous modems that used the phone lines...), but the internet, like everything else, doesn't sit still. It is constantly evolving and changes, baby... they're a'coming.

Thanks for your reply (and in the other thread). If I don't expect to purchase an ISP plan above 500Mbps, would the money spent on the AX88U Pro and GT-AX6000 be wasted?

No. Never wasted.

Not if you value stability, dependability, reliability, security, and performance.

I don't want to pay for features I don't need.

TP-Link Archer AX55 is a good choice for $100. This is what you need now.

If your old router was okay with coverage, this one will be similar or better.

Get one from Amazon and test it in your place. If not up to expectations - send it back.

Our current plan is 100Mbps

Good enough for everything you normally do online. Don't overpay for something you won't use.

L&LD is nuts as usual. Tech9 is almost right with his recommendation as usual. In addition to the TP Link the AX86U Pro should work for you. I use one on a 100/100 FIOS service with no issues. At times the three of us are streaming to our WiFi devices with no issues.
Tech9 is right, though, in the recommendation to buy from Amazon and try one. Not the AX86S used, though.

L&LD is nuts as usual. Tech9 is almost right with his recommendation as usual. In addition to the TP Link the AX86U Pro should work for you. I use one on a 100/100 FIOS service with no issues. At times the three of us are streaming to our WiFi devices with no issues.
Tech9 is right, though, in the recommendation to buy from Amazon and try one. Not the AX86S used, though.
Ha! Thanks for the reply. Yes, he's very enthusiastic for ASUS. After reading through these forum posts, it's hard to get a sense for consensus. It's kind of all over the place. I'm generally not super techy about this stuff. I just want a router that works and becomes invisible.

I've been using the ASUS 86S the past couple days. I will say that I'm having a bit of trouble getting speeds above 5Mbps on my laptop. Other devices/computers are fine. And the laptop is fine with the old router.

Also, I'm getting small dropouts when streaming Spotify. Very occasionally, and never more than a few seconds. BUT, never had that problem on the old router.

WIth regard to your recommendation for the AX86U Pro, does it still make sense to buy that over the AX88U Pro @ $215 vs the AX86U Pro @ $220? From what I can tell, the 88U Pro has better specs than the 86U Pro for a few dollars less, unless I'm missing something?

Ha! Thanks for the reply. Yes, he's very enthusiastic for ASUS. After reading through these forum posts, it's hard to get a sense for consensus. It's kind of all over the place. I'm generally not super techy about this stuff. I just want a router that works and becomes invisible.

I've been using the ASUS 86S the past couple days. I will say that I'm having a bit of trouble getting speeds above 5Mbps on my laptop. Other devices/computers are fine. And the laptop is fine with the old router.

Also, I'm getting small dropouts when streaming Spotify. Very occasionally, and never more than a few seconds. BUT, never had that problem on the old router.

WIth regard to your recommendation for the AX86U Pro, does it still make sense to buy that over the AX88U Pro @ $215 vs the AX86U Pro @ $220? From what I can tell, the 88U Pro has better specs than the 86U Pro for a few dollars less, unless I'm missing something?

Please do share which one you purchase!

I'm still trying to decide if the GT-AX6000 still king? It's on sale for £230 (Approx. $293) it's lowest ever price down from £330 (Approx. $420) or am I better spending the extra and getting the RT-AX86U Pro or RT-AX88U Pro?

1.6Gbps download speed coming in, 120Mbps upload.

Please do share which one you purchase!

I'm still trying to decide if the GT-AX6000 still king? It's on sale for £230 (Approx. $293) it's lowest ever price down from £330 (Approx. $420) or am I better spending the extra and getting the RT-AX86U Pro or RT-AX88U Pro?

1.6Gbps download speed coming in, 120Mbps upload.
I thought the GT-AX6000 was identical to the RT-AX88U Pro? https://dongknows.com/asus-rt-ax88u-pro-vs-gt-ax6000-matchup/

And that they were both better than the RT-AX86U Pro? So. Many. Choices. I do like the vertical form factor of the 86U better for where I'm planning on placing it.

How confused can you be? :D

The best bang-for-the-buck model is within your budget, is the better router, is $5 cheaper and you bought the inferior 's'??? Return that crap asap.

I'm not nuts, far from it. Don't listen to people who want to sell you specs, save you pennies, and give you something else than what you've asked for.

If you want to have the most reliable, dependable, and performant router, long-term, the RT-AX88U Pro is head and shoulders above anything else discussed above.

When Asus comes along and does so many things correctly (circa 2012), then RMerlin sees that 'extra' that Asus gives and goes above and beyond them. And, coming full circle, Asus incorporates many of the works that RMerlin developed for their stock firmware, there is a reason Asus makes me more than just enthusiastic for their routers (at least; certain models).

Don't confuse 'cheapest' with 'better buy'. Don't confuse people who don't use Asus routers with those that do. Don't confuse form with function.

And understand that buying an inferior model (years after it was introduced) doesn't save you anything in the long run, particularly when you have to upgrade/change it because it was a crippled piece of hardware in the first place.

And don't think 'pro' in the name makes it so. That distinction has to be earned. And the RT-AX88U Pro is the only one that has.

The GT-AX6000 is not the same as the RT-AX88U Pro. It is an older model, with a more likely chance to be EOL sooner than the recently released RT-AX88U Pro.

I've been using the ASUS 86S the past couple days.

If you already have RT-AX86S - it's more than you need. Your laptop issues are wireless adapter driver related. Research - upgrade or revert driver version and it will start working again. You have entered an Asus fan club and asking what router to get? There are freelance sales people around recommending the same thing to everyone no matter of the requirements and the budget. This is the best they know and you end up overpaying for hardware you don't need and perhaps will never use for the life of the device. This is the reason my SNB Forums is filtered and I don't bother reading sales pitch posts. There is no futureproofing with disposable AIO home routers.

Your money and your decisions. Be wise and good luck.

Last edited:
I'm looking to replace a Linksys WRT1900ACS that, I think, has been giving me dropouts. I've already replaced my modem with an Arris SB8200 (capable up to 1Gbps). I have a family of four, two kids 6 and 11. We pay for 100Mbs. Our home is two-stories and a basement, around 2400 sq/ft, and I'd like to cover both levels and the basement, preferably with a single router.

The WRT1900acs actually wasn't that bad of a device, and properly configured, was a beast over in 2.4GHz...

Was pretty good if one has USB storage as well...

My thoughts/opinion - Synology RT6600ax is a nice place to start - bit spendy, so also consider GL-Inet Flint/Flint2...

Both are pretty decent - GL-Inet is pretty up front about capability, and it's a strong feature set...

The WRT1900acs actually wasn't that bad of a device, and properly configured, was a beast over in 2.4GHz...

My thoughts/opinion - Synology RT6600ax is a nice place to start - bit spendy, so also consider GL-Inet Flint/Flint2...

Both are pretty decent - GL-Inet is pretty up front about capability, and it's a strong feature set...
The Flint 2 looks interesting. Who's behind it? You get late kernel updates.

Not that I need it, but kind of kicking myself for not preordering one for ~$100.

It's current openwrt with embellishment, as it seems. Interestingly, I saw in the FCC stuff that the captive antennas have two leads each, for 8 discrete true simultaneous activity between the radios. And if I'm seeing it right, the thing's got massive storage.

thanks that flint 2 looks interesting , might be perfect for a few people I know

flint 2 looks interesting

The bugs reported on the Flint2 scare me away...I like to tinker but don't think I have the time to participate and help with the issues. Im rooting and cheering for them though.

Something else potential buyers should know is GL-MT6000 router according to FCC has lower output power compared to other popular products.

The "weaker" signal observation is also mentioned quite often in product discussion forums. For some folks this fact alone may be a deal breaker.

And here you go - the Asus crowd ganging up...

Unfortunately, this is what SNB Forums has evolved to...

Latest threads

Get an update of what's new every day delivered to your mailbox. Sign up here!