What's new

Advice needed on new router!

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

Something else potential buyers should know is GL-MT6000 router according to FCC has lower output power compared to other popular products.

The "weaker" signal observation is also mentioned quite often in product discussion forums. For some folks this fact alone may be a deal breaker.
not abig deal in the case I'm thinking about , I never turn up the sigd nal to max , now the bugs reported might be another thing to think about . Want something reliable I'm retired don't need the headache solving problems

the bugs reported might be another thing to think about

New consumer device from a manufacturer most never heard of and reliable right after the release? Not happening.

Bought a GL-MT6000 since my ac68u went EOL, nice device wifi signal stronger than my old asus and its wifi6.

stuck stock openwrt via sysupgrade which make things annoying for testing different programs as it's a moving target, repo packages get regular updates so they may not install due to old version conflicts, this is a problem for using the snapshots when no stable release is available yet.

next time i update to a newer sysupgrade i will download the entire relevant package repo.

New consumer device from a manufacturer most never heard of and reliable right after the release? Not happening.

GL-Inet is a vendor that many have seen - I know the folks personally, and have been a tester from time to time.

stuck stock openwrt via sysupgrade which make things annoying for testing different programs as it's a moving target, repo packages get regular updates so they may not install due to old version conflicts, this is a problem for using the snapshots when no stable release is available yet.

OpenWRT on master is not for the timid - moving target as things tend to change there often, and don't have the QA that a Release would.

Keep in mind that both QCA and MediaTek use OpenWRT as a basis for their SDK's, but it's loosely related to the openwrt, and the SDK's have proprietary support that isn't generally backported in.

MediaTek has been fairly active there, compared to others - but I still wouldn't recommend snapshot builds for day-to-day connectivity...

I would stay with the GL-Inet releases for MT6000 for the time being...

GL-Inet is a vendor that many have seen - I know the folks personally, and have been a tester from time to time.
i have one of their mango routers for hotel use, they work well with no issues.

OpenWRT on master is not for the timid - moving target as things tend to change there often, and don't have the QA that a Release would.

Keep in mind that both QCA and MediaTek use OpenWRT as a basis for their SDK's, but it's loosely related to the openwrt, and the SDK's have proprietary support that isn't generally backported in.

MediaTek has been fairly active there, compared to others - but I still wouldn't recommend snapshot builds for day-to-day connectivity...

I would stay with the GL-Inet releases for MT6000 for the time being...
I been using a snapshot due to many fixes that have been Included for the wifi. They've found themselves in a bit of a pickle and if people want to stick to "stock" firmware I'd suggest 4.5.6