What's new

Linksys WRT1900AC First User Reports

• SNBForums Code of Conduct

SNBForums is a community for everyone, no matter what their level of experience.

Please be tolerant and patient of others, especially newcomers. We are all here to share and learn!

The rules are simple: Be patient, be nice, be helpful or be gone!

I switched from ASUS RT-AC66U to this since the ASUS router reduces performance and speed after 10 days or so of uptime. No matter what I do, clear NVRAM, various Merlin builds and stock firmware builds, the issue still persisted.

So far so good but as a general user who only seeks connection stability and speed, the WRT1900AC fits my requirements. The lack of full IPv6, multiple DNS and advanced features isn't too much of a deal to me compared to other people.

I haven't had the multiple icons appearing on Network Map for the same device though.

After more than a week of uptime, the router still gives my laptop 866 Mbps link rate with throughput of 50 - 60 MB/s

USB transfer rates is more than double than what I get with ASUS AC66U as well.

IPv6 works on the WRT1900AC. I'm running IPv6\IPv4 Dual Stack right now with Hurricane Electric IPv6 Tunnel Broker.

IPv6 Modems need to be configured in bridge mode. My testing has shown the WRT1900AC requires IPv6 Prefix Delegation from the ISP.

For some IPv6 internet connections with the WRT1900AC the MTU must be manually set.

IPv6 is broken if Guest Network is enabled. Linksys has a bug case open for this issue.

Last edited:
My SMC7008 finally bit the dust after 14 years so I replaced it on Friday with a 1900AC. Setup was smooth, it popped a browser on my port 1 connection to my main win8pro pc automagically and I logged in and did the update it was requesting. Did the normal password changes but other than that left it alone. Wireless coverage is good and I removed two WAP's and put them away, covers all 2 acres. No complaints so far. I like the map and speed test. It connected to my ReplayTV, my Marantz A/V, both printers, blue ray player, htpc, wireless it connected to the iphone, nexus7 though on the nexus it wanted both the secure wireless and guest passwords, no clue why. I do need to pick up a rack mount switch, 4 ports is not enough. I have not played with any of the other features yet. There were some issues connecting to my two wired network printers which while they showed up on the map had hard IP's in the .240 and .241 range which the 1900 includes in it's dhcp range, while they showed up I could not print to them. I dropped the devices down to the .97 and .98 and changed the port IP's on the PC's both wired and wireless. As I type this I think I better check the ReplayTV and see if it is still getting it's channel guide and nntp updates, that also has a hard IP of .244. I'll start really playing with it over the next few weeks. All in all so far it's a positive. I really wanted a cisco 891W but was not in the budget, maybe in a few months :D

Last edited:
I haven't had the multiple icons appearing on Network Map for the same device though.

I haven't either.

Despite multiple times switching to UPS due to bad storms (tornado just missed us last night!) I still haven't had any issues with my WRT1900AC outside of the GUI.

Code:
UpTime:
 14:25:12 up 35 days, 17:46, load average: 1.25, 1.30, 1.31

I haven't either.

Despite multiple times switching to UPS due to bad storms (tornado just missed us last night!) I still haven't had any issues with my WRT1900AC outside of the GUI.

Code:
UpTime:

I keep all my network devices, cable modem, router, etc always connected to the battery side of my UPS. I credit the longevity, 14 years, of my just passed away SMC router to always being plugged into a ups as well as other household electronics items around the house. I'm hoping this 1900ac holds up half as long.

I keep all my network devices, cable modem, router, etc always connected to the battery side of my UPS. I credit the longevity, 14 years, of my just passed away SMC router to always being plugged into a ups as well as other household electronics items around the house. I'm hoping this 1900ac holds up half as long.

Yeah, we live in the country and have frequent (2-3 times a month) power hits of 1-2 seconds. Just enough to reboot equipment and potentially damage it.

I have all my networking gear on UPS and haven't had any issues whatsoever.

I haven't either.

Code:
UpTime:

I was poking around mine last nite for a few minutes, where or how did you get the uptime of the router ? My old SMC kept a log on the status page that showed some decent info, on this one not so much even with logging turned on or am I going to have to put up an snmp server which I really don't want to do, I'm shooting for less computers lower electric bill not more, per the household CFO [wife]. But then again it might be justification for picking up one of those intel nuc's and loading linux.:D
I for sure miss the interface on the DD-wrt firmware. Be nice if Belkin/Linksys would put an advanced interface option on these like SMC did with theirs.

Just enter your router's IP address in your browser and add /sysinfo.cgi on the end. It will prompt you for your username and password.

Just enter your router's IP address in your browser and add /sysinfo.cgi on the end. It will prompt you for your username and password.

cool,
UpTime: 00:02:36 up 7 days, 19:40, load average: 1.20, 1.41, 1.40
Vendor: LINKSYS
ModelName: WRT1900AC
Firmware Version: 1.1.8.161917

I am unable to get the 2.4Ghz band to work. Once a device connects (laptop, Xbox 360), it drops connection instantly. Only 5Ghz,and hard wired work.

Any suggestions?

I am unable to get the 2.4Ghz band to work. Once a device connects (laptop, Xbox 360), it drops connection instantly. Only 5Ghz,and hard wired work.

Any suggestions?

I been dealing with this since launch and Linksys has no clue how to fix it.

I been dealing with this since launch and Linksys has no clue how to fix it.

I did a live chat today with Linksys. I am on the phone "level" now. I am expecting a call today or tomorrow. Someone named Jake Taylor (I think overseas) said they are getting reports of HW issues.

Were you able to get a replacement? I saw your comments on various threads.

I did a live chat today with Linksys. I am on the phone "level" now. I am expecting a call today or tomorrow. Someone named Jake Taylor (I think overseas) said they are getting reports of HW issues.

Were you able to get a replacement? I saw your comments on various threads.

They want to try everything to fix it before they do a replacement. I'm speaking with 2 Belkin techs. They assured me it wasn't a hardware issue. Let me know what they tell you.

They want to try everything to fix it before they do a replacement. I'm speaking with 2 Belkin techs. They assured me it wasn't a hardware issue. Let me know what they tell you.

Interesting. That's like almost the exact opposite of Netgear's approach, which is to replace hardware first. It's almost like they don't want to admit their firmware sucks.

After about 35 minutes of troubleshooting, my issue got escalated to level 3 support (engineering). I should get a call tomorrow. Hopefully, I get a replacement then.

EDIT: They are replacing the router. I expect the new one next week. It took 30 minutes with the second person.

Last edited:
My TP-Link TL-WR842ND N300 router 2.4GHz band works way better than my WRT1900AC. Same laptop on the TP-Link gets 70Mbps download speed and on the WRT1900AC it barely gets to 25Mbps. Sad a $30.00 router is out doing a $250.00 router. So I'm using the TP-Link for 2.4GHz clients and the WRT1900AC for 5GHz clients.